Slow boot time due to SMSSInit Event ID 110 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise in 3 PCs which had been running Win XP. All three of them are Intel Core 2 Duo, and two of the PCs have the same motherboard, etc. I did a clean install on brand new hard drives (as I wanted to retain the old hard drives; the old hard drives are/were not plugged in during the install process). Everything was fine for the first week, after which 2 of the PCs (the ones with the same hardware) started to take extremely long to go past the Windows Splash Screen (more than 5 mins, I timed it). After i get to the Windows Login screen, going to the desktop is quite quick.

I did a search online and tried all the usually recommended things: starting in safe mode (took the same time, last loaded driver CLASSPNP.sys); using startup repair (no errors turned up because Windows does eventually log on); removing all the extra hardware including the CD-ROM (did not help)

I then started looking at the Boot times in the Event Manager, and saw that the reason for the slow start was 'Session manager initialization caused a slow down in the start up process' for SMSSInit, Event ID: 110, Level: Critical, and this caused a boot time degradation of about 220 seconds!

Could someone please help in this regard as to why suddenly the session manager initialization process would start taking that long? And is there any way to solve this issue? No software was installed around the day when SMSSInit issue occurred. Also Windows Update is up-to-date, it could have been an issue with an update, but how would I know which update specifically?

Thank you,

Midhat

Thursday, May 14, 2015 11:46 AM

Answers

• In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

In your case please use the boot configuration

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Marked as answer by MidhatT Monday, May 18, 2015 12:12 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 12:47 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. I found this thread (http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140262-how-to-speed-up-boot-process-under-windows-vista-or-windows-7/) and applied the hotfixes which seems to have significantly reduced boot up times. However, I still ran the Windows Performance recorder (after applying the hotfixes) just to see if there are any other issues. Please see link (http://1drv.ms/1IEdCrc) and advice.
    • Marked as answer by MidhatT Monday, May 18, 2015 12:13 PM
    Friday, May 15, 2015 2:04 AM

All replies

• In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

In your case please use the boot configuration

• Marked as answer by MidhatT Monday, May 18, 2015 12:12 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 12:47 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. I found this thread (http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140262-how-to-speed-up-boot-process-under-windows-vista-or-windows-7/) and applied the hotfixes which seems to have significantly reduced boot up times. However, I still ran the Windows Performance recorder (after applying the hotfixes) just to see if there are any other issues. Please see link (http://1drv.ms/1IEdCrc) and advice.
    • Marked as answer by MidhatT Monday, May 18, 2015 12:13 PM
    Friday, May 15, 2015 2:04 AM
  • Hi MidharT,

To get a better performance of the system, please always keep them up to date.

There are several software running during the startup process.
    We can try to disable them to improve the boot performance further if it is possible(Search "msconfig",startup).

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 15, 2015 8:02 AM
  • MT

IN ETL 1& 3 the total boot time is around 150 seconds and session init was around 10 seconds.  The biggest issues were F-secure (14 threads), sldworks_fs.exe, and Matlabaccelerator.  F-secure was driving the HD almost to 100%. Solid works and MATLAB start in the post boot section and continue until the trace rundown.  I would start by removing/disabling SLD & MAT and if that does not resolve it remove f-secure and replace with MSE (at least to test)

Saturday, May 16, 2015 11:05 AM
  • Thank you MeipoXu and Team ZigZag for looking into the issue.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the time taken to go past the splash screen drastically reduced when I applied the hotfixes. Although Windows automatic update was fully up-to-date, these hotfixes had not been applied.

When you say, disable Solidworks and MATLAB, how do I go about doing that? I did disable all the non-essential process and services from msconfig startup and services (after hiding all the Microsoft services) , but these do not appear there.

Same goes for the D-link process. Not sure from where can I disable it?

Saturday, May 16, 2015 1:10 PM
  • MT

Solidworks and MATLAB are apps that you installed at some point (or the computer maker did) if they are not in programs and features they may have been removed incorrectly.

Matlab is part of mathworks http://www.mathworks.com/help/install/license/post-installation-tasks.html

Sunday, May 17, 2015 3:57 PM
  • SolidWorks and MATLAB are softwares that I have installed myself. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant is there any was of disabling these .exe processes so that they do not initiate during the boot process, but only when I actually start these softwares?
    Monday, May 18, 2015 12:02 PM
  • MT

Unfortunately since both are not MS products I have no idea if you can stop them from auto starting with windows (I suspect you can).  Your best bet is to check with the developers.  IMHO if they are causing this kind of problem I would not want them on my system.  I am sure there are other products that would do the same thing.

Monday, May 18, 2015 12:09 PM
  • All right, thank you for all your help.
    Monday, May 18, 2015 12:12 PM