none
Windows 10: Strange additional network printers listed in the Add Printers windows RRS feed

• Question

• If we try to add a shared network printer on Windows 10 LTSB 2016 clients using the classic control panel, the list shows many strange unwanted additional printer entries. For example their names containing the manufacturer, printer model and the share name separated by colons. In older windows versions the list only shows the share names of the published printers. Whats going on there in Windows 10 and how can we avoid this?

Windows 10: The printers in the first row are the correct share names of the printers, the other entries are unwanted duplicates of the shared printers listed with another name. By the way, it's sad that the addresses of the printers aren't listed there anymore in Windows 10.

In Windows Server 2012 R2 and also Windows 8.1 and 7 the list contains only the expected shared printers with their share name and no unwanted duplicates:

Friday, September 20, 2019 2:48 PM

All replies

• HI

"the list shows many strange unwanted additional printer entries"
    1 Is there other AD domain sites in your company?
      do you know which printer model and printer brand are other AD domain sites using ?
    2 Is there only list Kyocera printer in your first picture or is there other brand unknown printer listed in your first picture ?

3 what's the printer brand of your comany using ?
    4 if you disable ipv6 on problematical win10 ,will the problem persist ?
    5 I assume that you are using domain network profile on problematical win10 ,so if you turn off network discovery on both "private"network profile and "guest or public" profile ,will the unknow Kyocera printer also list ?
    Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 23, 2019 11:01 AM
  • Hello Andy YOU,

1. Yes, its a big forest. They are using many different printer brands and models. By the way I'm pretty sure that none of the shown printer entries are printers from other domains.

2. There are not only Kyocera printers, but only Kyocera printers in this name format with the colons. There are also HP printer entries and some RICOH copiers. See this screenshot for some other examples.

3. HP, Kyocera, Brother and RICOH copiers

4-5. I will have a further look on that but don't think this can be the problem

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 7:42 AM
  • HI
    6 For A1 :did you email your IT team in your company on all AD site ,do they also have the same problem in their environment?
    7 For A4-5 : I'am not sure if these unknown Kyocera printers using ipv6 protocol connect to your company group network so that you can find them in the print list. That's why I let you try step 4 and 5 .
    8 you can install a test win10 computer to install unknown Kyocera ecosys P2235dn then try to find the ip address of this printer ? I also think you can try to run Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 on test win10 first then try to add unknow Kyocera printer then check if there is thread about the ip address of unknow Kyocera printer. if you feel it is not security ,you can format this test win10 after you find the ip address of unknow Kyocera printer.
    https://www.sysprobs.com/how-to-find-the-ip-address-of-a-printer-in-windows-8-8-1
    Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 5:51 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Sunday, September 29, 2019 11:27 PM
  • HI
    Is there anything to help you?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 6:51 AM
  • Hi AndyYOU,

I've temporary disabled IPv6 on a Windows 10-Client, the problem persists.

I've installed one of the printers (Kyocera:ECOSYS P2235dn:PRXXXXXXX). After the installation it is showed in the installed printers list as "ECOSYS P2235dn". Usually the printers share name is showed there.

Screenshots of the printers device properties:

(Standort = Location, the ip address of the printer with port 5358)

(Anschluss = Port, printer is using a WSD port)

Edit: I've disabled the network discovery, the problem persists.
    • Edited by s0lution Wednesday, October 16, 2019 9:41 AM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:32 AM