none
MDT 2013 Update Deployment Share Failed - Illegal Characters in path RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot figure this one out...any help would be greatly appreciated.  

I am somewhat new to MDT, but was able to set it up with our custom image, and several task sequences to accomplish what we need.  We have been using MDT and this deployment share for 3-4 months now with no prior issues.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Windows ADK 8.1

I have tried changing the WinPE deployment settings on the share.

Nothing I have tried seems to make any difference.  

We are not using PXE and therefore I rely on the boot image so that we can USB boot for deployment. The deployment process is still working fine, however I cannot update the share and we have some new computers that need new networking drivers in the boot image to function.

Two possible causes that I can think of:

1: somehow WAIK was installed in addition to Windows ADK which I have since removed.

2: I have added new drivers for 3 new models and 2 of the three models are labeled as "SCO-550" and "SCO-650," and have been added under a new manufacturer folder.   I am not sure if the dash in the driver folder name could be causing this problem, none of the other systems we use have a dash in them. (The third new set of drivers follows the same name structure as most of our other drivers...dell systems which I have never had an issue adding in the past)

Error log:

=== Making sure the deployment share has the latest x86 tools ===
    === Making sure the deployment share has the latest x64 tools ===

=== Processing Generic (x64) boot image ===

System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: Illegal characters in path. ---> System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
       at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path)
       at System.IO.Path.NormalizePathFast(String path, Boolean fullCheck)
       at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path, DirectorySecurity directorySecurity)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.PEManager..ctor(PSCmdlet theCmdlet, String platform, String path)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.UpdateDeploymentPoint.UpdateBootImage(String template, String platform, String dpPath, Boolean createISO, String isoName)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.UpdateDeploymentPoint.ProcessRecord()
       at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.SynchronousExecuteEnumerate(Object input, Hashtable errorResults, Boolean enumerate)
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeHelper()
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeThreadProc()

• Edited by Outdoorist Monday, December 15, 2014 6:37 PM
    Monday, December 15, 2014 5:46 PM

Answers

• Okay, this is weird...I just ran the Update share remotely on my desktop through MDT console, and it runs.  However I am now getting the access denied error that I was getting with VSE on even though I have disabled it on my machine prior to the update.  I chose to completely recreate the boot images, and it is still running, but it is adding the drivers and appears to be going all the way through.  

The problem will be that the packages that were not added due to the access denied error will prevent the boot image from running properly when I boot the iso...or so I am assuming based on the last time I got those errors.

Monday, December 15, 2014 9:57 PM

All replies

• Forgot to mention a few things:

Server 2008 R2 - MDT 2013 - Multicast enabled via WDS - Windows ADK 8.1

Deploying Win7

Only issue I have seen in the past: I would receive an access denied error (5 i think) on multiple different packages being added to the boot image.  This is apparently an known issue with McAfee VS 8.8, and was resolved by disabling it during share updates and re enabling afterward. (https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB76867)

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!  Even a push in the right direction would be helpful :-)

• Edited by Outdoorist Monday, December 15, 2014 6:59 PM
    Monday, December 15, 2014 6:07 PM
  • Indeed disabling antivirus is a good start. So is also cleaning out the content of the boot folder, as well as the %temp% folder on your system (also verify available disk space).

If that doesn't do the trick, install a new virtual machine, install MDT 2013 and ADK 8.1, copy your deployment share to it, and then try to update the share.

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch

Monday, December 15, 2014 8:39 PM
  • Cleared temp folder and boot, and no luck. :(

C: drive has 11.5GB free

E: drive (Share is located) 24.1GB free

Components in MDT is saying that WAIK (x64) is available for download and is listed as Required...not sure about that, I have read that the components list is incorrect, and also I was pretty sure that WAIK was dropped with MDT 2013?

Components also states that MSXML 6.0 (x64) is installed and that it is a requirement before installing WAIK...

Late in the day, I will try a few more things tomorrow and if nothing else works then I guess I will have to create a new VM and transfer the share over as you suggested.

Thank you!

Monday, December 15, 2014 9:37 PM
  • Okay, this is weird...I just ran the Update share remotely on my desktop through MDT console, and it runs.  However I am now getting the access denied error that I was getting with VSE on even though I have disabled it on my machine prior to the update.  I chose to completely recreate the boot images, and it is still running, but it is adding the drivers and appears to be going all the way through.  

The problem will be that the packages that were not added due to the access denied error will prevent the boot image from running properly when I boot the iso...or so I am assuming based on the last time I got those errors.

Monday, December 15, 2014 9:57 PM
  • The components node is broken and should not be used, will be removed in MDT v.Next.

As far as antivirus goes, you may have to completely uninstall it.

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:22 PM
  • Gave up...did a full restore from a backup.

Thank you very much for your help!  I have learned one very valuable thing...do not use the components node!!  

~Chris

Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:46 PM