Select multiple windows in taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• Windows XP and Vista had a feature where you should hold down ctrl and select multiple windows.  Then you could issue commands (primarily "close window") on those windows as a group.  It seems that with the Windows 7 taskbar changes this feature was lost.  I understand not having this feature in the new "collapsed" display.  However, for power users who use multiple rows of taskbar, the ability to select multiple windows and close them all was extremely useful.  

To make matters worse holding down ctrl and clicking on a program in the task bar now opens a new instance of the program.  

I would be OK with keeping ctrl+click for opening a new window, but I would really appreciate a way to select and close multiple windows at once.

NOTE:  I have seen on various other forums a similar request and people respond saying to use the grouped windows and close the whole group.   This is not an option firstly because collapsed mode requires more time to switch windows and secondly because you have to close the whole group and you cannot close multiple groups at once.

Friday, December 17, 2010 3:53 PM

Answers

• So this is great feedback and it'd be good to submit.  While the 'close all' option is close, it can only apply to a single application, and affects all the windows of the application, not just ones you choose.

Please do send this in, here's is a link to a Windows 7 feedback form...

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows 7/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, January 7, 2011 9:20 AM
    Monday, December 27, 2010 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hey Tyler, 

I know this isn't a direct resolution - as far as I can tell, that ability is gone with the Taskbar.  However, you can ctrl-select multiple items from the Applications tab of Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Escape), and then end them at once.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, but that is most certainly not a good solution.  Killing programs from the Task Manager should be used as the exception, not the rule as it doesn't allow the programs to clean up and close down properly.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Actually not true.  If you use the Applications tab, the program receives the same exit command as if you had clicked the X or pressed Alt-F4 (or right-clicked the taskbar).  Granted it takes more time, but it's not bad for the program in any way.

Give it a try yourself: open any application such as Notepad, then end it from the Applications tab of the Task Manager.  The program will offer to save your work or finish its task.  If you use the Processes tab, rather, the program is killed using the API call for "taskkill.exe /f", which force-closes without any opportunity to save.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:27 PM
  • I replaced my task manager with Process Explorer, so that wouldn't work for me.   Also, I'm looking for a quick and easy way to close multiple windows.  Using task manager certainly is not what I call quick and easy.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:36 PM
  • Hi,

You can press the "Ctrl" button to select the multiple Windows in the Task Manager, then hit "End Task" to close them. This way to close Multiple windows is already very easy. If there are anything have not saved under the program, the Windows will prompt you to save them. So it can close the program properly.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, December 27, 2010 1:44 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Tyler Boone Monday, December 27, 2010 5:51 PM
    Friday, December 24, 2010 3:39 AM
  • I don't really consider opening task manager and selecting them there a good solution.  I would like to recommend this as a feature to put back into the next version of Windows.  Windows XP (and I am pretty sure Vista as well) has this feature.  I miss it in Windows 7.  Windows 7 appearantly does not have a a presence on Microsoft's Connect site for bugs and feature requests, so this forum will have to do. 
    Monday, December 27, 2010 5:58 PM
  • So this is great feedback and it'd be good to submit.  While the 'close all' option is close, it can only apply to a single application, and affects all the windows of the application, not just ones you choose.

Please do send this in, here's is a link to a Windows 7 feedback form...

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows 7/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, January 7, 2011 9:20 AM
    Monday, December 27, 2010 7:46 PM
  • I totally agree. I don't understand why this behavior was removed. When I work as an IT support and have 5 explorer windows open with different network drives and I want to close them I have to do it one by one or I could do it via task manager of course, but this is clumsy, because it is was much easier in XP or Vista to quickly click on the taskbar items while holding ctrl then having to find them all again in task manager.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:56 PM
  • One shortcut from the Windows 95 era remains!  Go to the deepest folder you have open, hold shift while clicking the X to close it.  All other folder windows that are displaying parents of that folder, even if not opened directly from it, will close.

Shawn Keene
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:20 AM
  • Not even this workaround works for me.

When I laboriously open Task Manager, then Ctrl+click multiple items and select "End Task" (quite a clumsy procedure), Task Manager *still* closes them one at a time--meaning that it's even more work than clicking and closing them one at a time on the Taskbar.

I can think of no good reason for not including this feature in Windows 7. Its absence is highly annoying.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:20 AM
  • this is hard enough to search the internet for such a feature,

I think it was a bad idea for microsoft to remove this feature.

I also think that this feature should be in windows 7, by at least means of a service pack!

Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:26 PM