Undock toolbars and dock to top of screen? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

A bit of a simple question:

In Windows pre-2008 (e.g. Server 2003, XP, etc.) it was possible to create a toolbar and then undock it from the taskbar, and subsequently 'dock' it at the top of the screen. Having a play around on Server 2008 R1, this feature is still there (indeed, you can simply drag a folder to the top of the screen to create a toolbar). I can't seem to do this in Server 2008 R2...

Is there some local policy change I need to make, or is this a feature that has simply disappeared?

It's not a critical deal, but I do like to have my most used utilities docked in a toolbar along the top edge of the screen...

I've had a look at the local group policies, and there are policies there for toolbars, but I've changed them to no avail. I've also tried turning on themes and desktop experience (not that I really want them on), but that's not helped either...

I found one  useful resource that talks about toolbars in Vista, but that didn't help (seems to correlate with 2008 R1 though).

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Kind regards,

Andy B.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 2:45 PM

Answers

• Deary me, answering my own post!

Anyway, I found an answer (not the one I wanted) elsewhere:

This got me a very useful response. More information was gleaned from here and here .

The long and short of it is it looks like MS, in their wisdom, decided to remove this functionality in R2 and Win7. This, I feel, is a great shame...

Anyway, thanks for reading, and hopefully, this short thread may help others understand what's going on with toolbars...

:-(

Regards,

Andy B.
    • Marked as answer by bruisah Friday, November 6, 2009 5:08 PM
    Friday, November 6, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Thnanks for the suggestion Mervyn,

I've solved the problem by using 'RocketDock ' - a very pretty OS X style launcher.

It's a shame to have to add extra software to make up for functionality that has been removed, but there you go...

Cheers

Andy B.
    • Marked as answer by bruisah Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:54 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:53 AM

All replies

• Deary me, answering my own post!

Anyway, I found an answer (not the one I wanted) elsewhere:

This got me a very useful response. More information was gleaned from here and here .

The long and short of it is it looks like MS, in their wisdom, decided to remove this functionality in R2 and Win7. This, I feel, is a great shame...

Anyway, thanks for reading, and hopefully, this short thread may help others understand what's going on with toolbars...

:-(

Regards,

Andy B.
    • Marked as answer by bruisah Friday, November 6, 2009 5:08 PM
    Friday, November 6, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Hi,

In Windows 7, you could implement the same function by using Gadgets. Check if the following gadget meet your requirement.

Quick Launch
    http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=dd868ac7-d4bc-4e0a-ac5b-acda3fe0264a&bt=1&pl=1

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:43 AM
  • Thnanks for the suggestion Mervyn,

I've solved the problem by using 'RocketDock ' - a very pretty OS X style launcher.

It's a shame to have to add extra software to make up for functionality that has been removed, but there you go...

Cheers

Andy B.
    • Marked as answer by bruisah Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:54 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:53 AM