First Physical Sector (Master Boot Reset)? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is it possible to delete the first physical sector on a logical volume?
    I make this question 'cause I have been using PARTITION MAGIC by POWER QUEST. I tryed to delate partitions of my hard disk and accidentally I eliminated all of them. Now, I can't to format my disk and of course; i couldn't to partition it.

So, I think the problem has to do with the First Physical Sector or what I understand as Master Boot Reset.

Also I used FDISK and Norton Disk Doctor, however, these tools don't help a lot, they don't resolve anything.

I will appreciate your help!

postdata: Partition Magic shows the hard disk as a bad partition.

THANKS!

Engineer of Electronic Projects

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 3:04 PM

All replies

• I'm writing this with the assumption that you aren't trying to recover critical data from your HDD.  If you are you need data recovery software like File Scavenger.

I've had some trouble with Partition Magic.  It was great when Powerquest owned it, but they were bought by Symantec and Symantec has not kept it current.  It's safest just to use the Windows Computer Management/Disk Management Tool (Control Panel/Administrative Tools).

Unless you have a hardware problem, you should be able to go into Disk Management, right click the bad partition, and delete it.

If you can't boot into windows, you can try using the system recovery console.  Google for advice on how to use FIXBOOT and FIXMBR.

Best of luck.

Dave 

Monday, July 24, 2006 11:05 AM