Essential 2007 Software Deployment Clarification RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

I am trying to deploy an software (.exe format) using Essential 2007. I have packaged it and approved it to some window xp clients.I have set deadline and used /s parameter for the software to get installed on the client.however i can see the status of the software deployed as "The Update or package is applicable and downloaded on the client computer, but not yet installed." but the software is not installed on the client.There is an windows update agent event in the client machine stating that the download is complete and the software is scheduled to be installed on a sheduled time.The taskmanager on the client machine also shows the executable running and remains so forever.

When i restart the client, Windows displays that an update is getting installed and will automatically reboot the machine.But this status remain forever. Any help on this is mostly welcomed.

Cheers

Srikanth

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 6:22 AM

Answers

•  

Can yo share more detales about you exe application? As I sad, most exe based application can be installled silent so you should check this before repackaging.

A good site for finding information about silent installation / repackinging is www.appdeploy.com

Björn Axéll MVP - Advisec AB

http://blog.advisec.com

Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Srikanth,

By default, managed computers contact the SCE server to check for updates approximately every 22 hours. Then, the softeware will be installed on the scheduled time. It seems the software cannot be installed properly using the parameter causing client suspend. please ensure this software can be installed successfully by using parameter. Meanwhile, try using following steps:

1. Delete the software on the SCE server.

2. Log into safe mode of the client.

3. Run services.msc and then stop automatic updates service.

4. Rename the softwaredistribution folder from %windir% and then start automatic updates service.

After that, try to see if the clients can restart normally.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 7:44 AM
  • HI Jie,

Thanks for the reply, The default 22 hour update frequency has be reduced to 1 hour through GP settings.In my senario,any msi based application get installed through SCE.As you suggested it might be the problem with installation parameters, but there is no additional parameter for the exe and no parameters are set when publishing the package in SCE.

When i manually install the exe file, i found the exe as wizard based where it prompt the user to specfic task like check-box upon which the installation proceed.Do i need to repackage the exe to msi by capturing these actions?

Also, I observed that the application when deployed through SCE, runs under System Account Context, Can we change it to some other domain based account?

Thanks & Regards

Srikanth

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:41 PM
  • Hi,

Can you tell us more about the software you are trying to install? Most application can be installed by using parameters, recording files ini files or other. If you are 100% sure it doesn't support it, yuou need to repackage.

As regards to use other account other then system account  - it is not possible.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 11:10 PM
  • Hi,

As u said, to deploy this software through SCE requires repackaging the /.EXE file to .MSI by capture all the needed information. This software ask for some user inputs all the way through the installation.

So no straight foward way!!

Thanks

Srikanth

Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:26 PM
  •  

Can yo share more detales about you exe application? As I sad, most exe based application can be installled silent so you should check this before repackaging.

A good site for finding information about silent installation / repackinging is www.appdeploy.com

Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:33 PM
  •  

Hi,

This pariticular software is for connecting to Internet using a Mobile Datacard.During the installation it asks for user license agreement checkbox and further user inputs.

Seems to be that this exe doesnt have any command line options

One thing i noticed is that, when the new update notification icon is shown up in Task Bar and the user manually goes for custom installation, the software gets installed.But the same doesnt happen if the installation starts at a scheduled time without user interface.

Do let me know if u have some other suggestion in getting this done without re-packaging

Thanks & regards

Srikanth

Friday, December 14, 2007 6:51 AM
  • Hi Srikanth,

As I know, most of software is to be isntalled without UI. Howerver, for some specifiied software need a UI, such as xp SP2. It is depend on the software itself.

Hope it helps.

Friday, December 14, 2007 7:29 AM