none
Question On Retension Time RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i use DPM to backup my servers. I use 10 Days for ShortTerm Backup. Additionaly we do Backups in Tapes. These Tapes from Monday to Thursday should be kept fpr a week (We overwrite Monday Tape on the next Monday etc.). We use 4 Tapes on the Fridays, tehy should be kept for 4 Weeks. And on the last day of the month the tape should be protected for one year. Unfortunately i don't see, how to give different times for that inside my protection group. On the other jhand, i can't add my servers to another group (Example Friday Group), because it can only be member of one group. Can anyone give me an hint ?

Best Regards,

Rainer

Friday, March 18, 2011 9:19 AM

Answers

• ...Tapes from Monday to Thursday should be kept fpr a week... Fridays, tehy should be kept for 4 Weeks. And on the last day of the month the tape should be protected for one year. 

I do not see a problem.

At 'select long term goals' you can confioge the following way:

recovery goal 1: backup every 1 day, retention range 1 week

recovery goal 2: backup every 1 week, retention range 4 weeks

recovery goal 3: backup every 1 month, retention range 12 months

At 'modify long time backup schedule' you uncheck the unwanted days (Sunday, Saturday, Friday) and set the monthly backup to 'last day of every month'

What is wrong with this schedule?

greetings from not far away

Peter

Monday, March 21, 2011 8:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It sounds like you want 2 different weekly long term recovery goals, that is not possible.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, March 21, 2011 12:08 AM
  • ...Tapes from Monday to Thursday should be kept fpr a week... Fridays, tehy should be kept for 4 Weeks. And on the last day of the month the tape should be protected for one year. 

I do not see a problem.

At 'select long term goals' you can confioge the following way:

recovery goal 1: backup every 1 day, retention range 1 week

recovery goal 2: backup every 1 week, retention range 4 weeks

recovery goal 3: backup every 1 month, retention range 12 months

At 'modify long time backup schedule' you uncheck the unwanted days (Sunday, Saturday, Friday) and set the monthly backup to 'last day of every month'

What is wrong with this schedule?

greetings from not far away

Peter

Monday, March 21, 2011 8:23 AM
  • Hi,

Nothing, that is perfect - the way you worded your orignal goals were very confusing to me at the time.  8-)

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:43 PM