DFS Namespace Server confusion RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have 2008 R2 servers using DFS. The main problem is that DFS will assign users a mapped drive that may link to one DFS server or the other. We want ALL users to hit one particular DFS server to keep the data consistent and use the second DFS server in case the primary fails.

I have DFS installed in the following matter:

DC1 - DFS no replication

DC2 - DFS no replication

SERVER1 - Primary data host, DFS with replication to Server2

SERVER2 - Secondary data host, DFS with replication to Server1

Should I even have DFS installed on the domain controllers?

Should I assign SERVER1 as the First Among All Targets?

I hope this makes sense and if not please let me know and I will try to get the information.

Thanks everyone!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 6:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

"Disable other folder referrals" means disable in DFS management --- you can easily enable them when the working server is down (in your case it is SERVER1).

Just keep you current configuration and simply disable the other server targets, and manually enable them when they are needed.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The easiest way is to disable other folder referrals in DFS-N so users will only be directed to a certain server. Enable the backup one when main server fails.

Note: Keep DFS replication working to make sure files are replicated correctly.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 11, 2013 9:10 AM
  • So only have SERVER1 (in our case) as the only DFS referral? Do I need DNS installed as well as DFS on SERVER1? Also, since SERVER1 could go down, maybe it would be best to have the DC1 (or DC2) as the only referral. I want to make sure I am doing this right before going forward and would appreciate any further suggestions. Sounds like I don't need the DC's at all and to maybe just have SERVER1 as the only DFS referral.

Thanks again!

Friday, January 11, 2013 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

"Disable other folder referrals" means disable in DFS management --- you can easily enable them when the working server is down (in your case it is SERVER1).

Just keep you current configuration and simply disable the other server targets, and manually enable them when they are needed.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:40 AM
  • Thank you, that is a great idea and one I have not seen or mentioned here before.

Do you have any suggestion when using DFS to receive a warning or access denied if a file is being used by two people? Currently, if anyone uses say a Word or Excel file and the another user access the file, they would normally receive a "This file is in use by another user" but with DFS, both users can use the file and the last one to use or save overwrites the other into the conflict and delete folder. This seems to be a huge oversight and flaw with DFS. There are 3rd party programs to avoid this but they start at $1000. 

Thanks for any suggestions here.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:26 AM
  • Hi,

As users actually accessing a different file because they are on different servers, users will not receive the "in use" error --- this should not be an issue when you only allow 1 server to be accessed by users.

And if we have more folder targets, this will be an issue as you said, that the last one who edit the file will win the replication which may cause data lose. Currently only third party programs could help on such file locking issue.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:27 AM