none
GPO's

Question

• Hi Scripter,

My problem is thus! We use Roaming Profiles, which take ages to log on and off, with start up / log on scripts that map network shares, printers, shortcuts and security groups.

I would like to make everyone, around 150 users, convert to Local profiles with Folder Redirection for Documents and sub folders, Desktop, Favourites, Start Menu and AppData (Roaming).

Do you think that you could do all of this with Group Policy or would it have to be a mixture of JavaScript and GPO's?

I would like to map printers and network shares via GPO but it also means moving all users from Roaming to Local profiles.

I'm just trying to suss out what to do and what is the best method to do so?

Thanks for any advice you can provide

Stevie :-)

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Thursday, July 28, 2016 6:02 PM Move to more appropriate forum
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 1:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Stevie,

first of all: JavaScript and Windows Administration have a single common point: Administering it is a pain in the ass. You don't use it for anything.

You can do all of this using GPO, and if you do folder redirection there is little point in giving up on roaming profiles.

Cheers,
    Fred

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thursday, July 28, 2016 1:33 PM
  • as Fred suggests, redirect the folders out of the current profile.  Do a small number at a time.  You may find that very large folder take a very log time to redirect.  Be patient or take over manually after the folders have been created. 

One thing that creates a lot of problems is allowing the home drive to be set to the root of the profile.  This causes many files to get lost there.  A cleanup that moves these files can also help to clean up a profile.  Be sure to set home drive to the "My Documents" redirected drive or, better yet, remove home drives altogether.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, July 28, 2016 3:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Stevie,

first of all: JavaScript and Windows Administration have a single common point: Administering it is a pain in the ass. You don't use it for anything.

You can do all of this using GPO, and if you do folder redirection there is little point in giving up on roaming profiles.

Cheers,
    Fred

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thursday, July 28, 2016 1:33 PM
  • as Fred suggests, redirect the folders out of the current profile.  Do a small number at a time.  You may find that very large folder take a very log time to redirect.  Be patient or take over manually after the folders have been created. 

One thing that creates a lot of problems is allowing the home drive to be set to the root of the profile.  This causes many files to get lost there.  A cleanup that moves these files can also help to clean up a profile.  Be sure to set home drive to the "My Documents" redirected drive or, better yet, remove home drives altogether.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, July 28, 2016 3:49 PM