Groups DropDown in Grant Permissions Not Showing All Groups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have SharePoint Server 2010.
    I go to Site Actions > Ste Permissions > Grant Permission.
    In the dropdown to "add users to a sharepont group" all of the groups in that site are not showing in the dropdown.
    For example, we have 16 groups and only 4 show in the dropdown.
    This is not consistent either. I can go to another site in another Site Collection that has the same number of groups and 8 out of the 16 will show in the dropdown.
    I can't find and pattern to the number or types of groups that are displayed in the dropdown.

Has anyone seen this problem or do you know why this would be happening ?

Thank you.

Friday, May 13, 2011 8:09 PM

Answers

• I have a solution.  It looks like that dropdown uses the AssociatedGroups propertry of the rootweb for the site.  When you add groups to the site this property does not get updated. 

Here is a code snipit that you can use to update a site, you can use this as part of a larger script to update all sites or as part of your group creation script.

$site = get-spsite <site name here>
    $web = $site.RootWeb
    $web.Groups | %{ $web.AssociatedGroups.Add($_) }
    $web.update()
    $web.dispose()
    $site.dispose()

Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Hi
    I just tried this on one of my test sites and it worked...very cool !  I'll have to wait until next week to give it a try on our production sites when the site owners are back.  

Thank you very much !
    ==============================================

UPDATE 5/31/11

I just verfied this with the site owners.  Running this script will make all groups created via powershell/stsadm AND that are in Site Permissions show up in the Grant Permissions dropdown. 

Thank you !

• Marked as answer by mx1 Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:43 PM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 1:08 PM

All replies

• Hi mx1

Can you have a look with sharepoint designer? Is the same behaviour displayed there?

Sometimes if you remove all the role associations or permissions that a group has on an item it will disappear from the group selection (if you are no longer inheriting permissions)

you should still be able to manually type that group in and assign a permissions level etc. 

Dan

Sunday, May 15, 2011 11:47 AM
  • What dropdown are you talking about?  There isn't a dropdown of groups when setting permissions.  There is a regular People Picker that lets you search for users/groupos.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 2:37 PM
  • When you create site (for example "newWeb") and set "Use unique permissions" you create new groups ("newWeb Owners", "newWeb Contributers" and "newWeb Visitors") for new site. And you can add users to groups defined in that site ("newWeb Owners", "newWeb Contributers" and "newWeb Visitors"), not in the parent site ("parentWeb Owners", "parentWeb Contributers" and "parentWeb Visitors").
    Don't forget to vote for useful replies and/or mark answers for your questions - that helps other guys to find the answer faster.
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Hi

If you go to Site Actions > Site Permissions > Grant Permission you'll see the dropdown.

Monday, May 16, 2011 11:21 AM
  • Hi

I'm not creating a new site.  I am in the top level site of the site collection.
    I go to Site Actions > Site Permissions > Grant Permission.  There you will see a dropdown that should show all of the groups.
    I don't see all of the groups in the dropdown, only some.  I've checked other site collections and they also only show some
    of the groups - not all.

Monday, May 16, 2011 11:26 AM
  • Check that you are group owner (in the group settings) and check other group settings (who can add users to group: owners or members)

It looks like you cannot add users to other groups. http://mscerts.programming4.us/sharepoint/Edit%20a%20SharePoint%20Group’s%20Settings.aspx

Don't forget to vote for useful replies and/or mark answers for your questions - that helps other guys to find the answer faster.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 1:01 PM
  • I am the farm admin / site collection administrator so permissions aren't an issue.

One additional piece to the puzzle.   The groups that do not show up in the dropdown are groups that are created via powershell script.

Any group created during initial site creation or using the UI do show up in the dropdown.

So it seems there is something different about a group created using powershell v.s. creating with the UI.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:34 PM
  • There is no difference. check the group owner settings of you group. 

SharePoint groups that may have rights to a site (or list, or item) are not actually part of that site (or list or item), and so can’t be administered by someone with Full Control of that site (or any other permission level) based on that permission level. Instead, groups have owners (usually the individual who set up the group). When the group is set up, the creator determines whether or not the membership can be modified by other group members or only by themselves.

http://dlairman.wordpress.com/2010/09/23/site-administrator-cant-give-permissions/

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:11 PM
  • Just to clarify, we can go thru Site Actions > Site Settings > People and Groups and add people to groups in this area.

I checked four groups created by our powershell script.
    All have the same owners, all are set so that everyone can view the membership of the group, and only the group owner can edit the membership of the group. 
    Yet only two show up in the dropdown when I go to Site Actions > Site Settings > Grant Permission.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:30 PM
  • We just ran across this same issue on our site.  I agree with your observation that this only happens for groups created from powershell.  This makes me think that when you create a group from the UI it is adding it to a hidden list somewhere that does not get updated when you use the SiteGroups.Add() method to add a group into the site.  I am going to do some more research into this and see if I can find out where this is.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:18 PM
  • I have a solution.  It looks like that dropdown uses the AssociatedGroups propertry of the rootweb for the site.  When you add groups to the site this property does not get updated. 

Here is a code snipit that you can use to update a site, you can use this as part of a larger script to update all sites or as part of your group creation script.

$site = get-spsite <site name here>
    $web = $site.RootWeb
    $web.Groups | %{ $web.AssociatedGroups.Add($_) }
    $web.update()
    $web.dispose()
    $site.dispose()

Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Hi
    I just tried this on one of my test sites and it worked...very cool !  I'll have to wait until next week to give it a try on our production sites when the site owners are back.  

Thank you very much !
    ==============================================

UPDATE 5/31/11

I just verfied this with the site owners.  Running this script will make all groups created via powershell/stsadm AND that are in Site Permissions show up in the Grant Permissions dropdown. 

Thank you !

• Marked as answer by mx1 Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:43 PM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 1:08 PM
  • One little addition to this, if you are not into scripting...

On the site you are having trouble with >

Site Actions >

Site Permissions >

Click on the group that does not appear which you do want to appear >

Settings > 'Make Default Group'

your group will now appear in the drop down, and if someone requests access, this will also be the default option pre-selected

Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:11 PM
  • I had this same issue when moving from our test site to our production site.

All of the custom groups that were created on the Test site did not show up in the Grant Access dropdown. The group showed up when viewing them under Site Actions > Site Permissions.

Running the above script corrected the issue and now all the groups are in the dropdown

Friday, November 9, 2012 10:28 PM