none
Creating a Test Server within Hyper V RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have been contemplating creating a server on a virtual machine within Hyper V, I am just concerned as to what potential issues could arise from this, as I have never had to create a virtual server before. I may be worth pointing out this virtual server will purely for testing purposes to observer and see what happens if a make changes on Group policy (as one example), this is so I can make changes without any ramifications on day-to-day business operations.

I am under the assumption virtual server is contained (to an extent) within hyper v and any domain controllers, or AD won't override or conflict with existing DC's or our AD structure.

Thank you

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:59 AM

Answers

• A VM can be contained locally.  It all depends on how you configure the networking options. 

You'll want to set up an internal virtual switch for your VMs to connect to.  Using an external virtual switch will allow your VMs access to the network that the physical NIC is plugged into.

For future posts on Hyper-V, use the Hyper-V forum here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads

• Marked as answer by Zakmk96 Wednesday, August 24, 2016 8:39 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 4:47 PM

All replies

• A VM can be contained locally.  It all depends on how you configure the networking options. 

You'll want to set up an internal virtual switch for your VMs to connect to.  Using an external virtual switch will allow your VMs access to the network that the physical NIC is plugged into.

For future posts on Hyper-V, use the Hyper-V forum here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads

• Marked as answer by Zakmk96 Wednesday, August 24, 2016 8:39 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 4:47 PM
  • Hi smajain,

I was contemplating either building a virtual server or a test lab with its own subnet so I could play around with a server that wasn't related to business operations. I think I will go with the test lab set-up with a subnet.

Kind Regards

Zak

Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:13 PM