none
Subprojects inserted into Master - Baseline changes RRS feed

• Question

• I am building a master schedule by inserting individual schedules into a template schedule.  Each schedule has a baseline created for work and costs.  I've found that manually (or through VBA) inserting the subprojects without a link creates a situation where the inserted schedule baselines change in the master schedule.  No baseline is being snapped for the Master file.

The two versions of the schedule (subproject and master) do not reflect the same baseline values.  Baselines are not suppose to change unless a new baseline is snapped.  Does anybody know why this is occurring?  

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:39 PM

All replies

• Rotar67,

First of all, what version of Project are you using? Is it fully updated?

If I understand correctly, you are creating a static master (i.e. you un-checked the "link to project" option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window). Is that correct?

Are all your tasks auto-scheduled? Does the master and all subprojects have the same Project Start Date?

What exactly do you mean by the first sentence in your second paragraph? In the first paragraph you said you did NOT set a baseline for the master. So what do you mean about the subproject and master not reflecting the same baseline values?

John

Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:56 AM
  • I am using 2010 and is fully updated.

Yes, the master file is a static file where all projects are copied in using the Insert Project with the "link to project" unchecked.

The Master and Subprojects contain different start dates due to the dynamic aspects of the subprojects. All tasks are auto-scheduled. 

Maybe this will help clarify my question.

1. All subprojects have their own specific start dates.  Projects are controlled by Project Start and Project Finish tasks which all tasks are linked to as Predecessors or Successors.

2. All subprojects are baselined before becoming active in our system.

3. Master schedule is built using VBA and a template schedule with only a few summary tasks included.

4. Subprojects are inserted into the Master template.  No baseline activities occur after the insertions.

5. Baseline timephasing in the Master schedule for the inserted subprojects change from what is in the standalone subproject schedules.

Example:

Subproject task has baseline work timephased for a week at 4 hours per day for a resource (4, 4, 4, 4, 4). After insertion into the Master the same task timephasing is changed to 3.5 hours per day for that resource.  (3.5, 3.5, 3.5, 3.5, 3.5). 

As baseline fields are a snapshot (static) rather than dynamic fields they should not be impacted/changed by an insert into another schedule.  So, my question is "Why are the values of the baseline fields changing when inserted into the master schedule?"

Hope this helps clarify the situation and question.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 12:11 PM
  • Rotar67,

Just to be sure, is your version of Project 14.0.7176.5000?

Does the master and each subproject use the same Project calendar?

You mention using VBA to do the processing. If you build the master manually with at least one subproject, does the baseline work still change when viewed in the master?

I did a few tests on a sample file and I don't see any change in baseline data between subproject and master, so I need to dig deeper. If possible would you be able to share at least on of your subprojects and the template master with me?

John

Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:08 PM
  • Hi John,

We are on 14.0.7177.5000 (32-bit) 

Doesn't matter if I use VBA or manually insert projects; same results.

Sorry, I cannot send the files due to company restrictions.

R

Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:41 PM
  • Rotar67,

As far as I know there is no version 14.0.7177.5000. Is that a typo perhaps?

You didn't answer my question about the calendars.

There is another option with regard to sharing your file. Create a dummy subproject and static master with just a couple of tasks but enough to show the issue. You should be able to send that, right?

If you can't send any kind of file, can you at least post a couple of screen shots of the example task as shown at subproject level and also at master level?

John

Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:11 PM