none
Project not saved and not published, the Save and Publish commands simply don't work, and there is no error/warning at all from Project Professional RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm using Project Server 2010 and I have a very strange situation: being in Project Centre view I open a project for edition, and the project gets opened in Project Professional, then I make some changes in the project and I hit the Save button, but it doesn't do anything, if I try to publish the project it doesn't do anything either. If I try simply to close the project it asks me that I made some updates and if I would like to save or discard changes, and if I want to check-in the project, if my answer is Save Changes and Check-in Project then it doesn't do anything and the Project Professional keeps opened as if I didn't try to close the project. If my answer is Discard Changes and Check-in then I loose the changes and the project gets closed.

It looks like the project has a condition preventing to save it in Project Server, but I didn't know that the condition even existed!

This situation only happens with this project, all the other projects work fine.

Do you have any idea about how to solve this issue?

Regards,

José Espases

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:17 AM

Answers

• Hi again,

I've found the solution, it was just a matter of cleaning up the mistaken resources. I have to say that the PM didn't do a good job there. The project was plenty of duplicated local resources, enterprise resources as local resources (having a mistake in the name) and so on...

(1) I deleted all resources not used, having Work=0, (2) I took out all the work assigned to Inactive Enterprise Resources and (3) I transferred the work assigned to local resources with a mistake in the name to the correct name as Enterprise Resource. (4) I saved the project as a local mpp file and then (5) overwrite the Project Server project. Now it works fine.

Now I have to explain all this to the PM and ask him to do the same in the production environment. I hope it will work.

Thank you for your help and regards,

José Espases

• Marked as answer by José Espases Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:28 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:28 PM

All replies

• Jose --

I believe there is a good chance that this project has gotten corrupted.  There are several ways a project can become corrupted and the leading cause of corruption is cutting/copying and pasting entire task rows.  If this project is corrupted, you can resolve the corruption by following the steps in my blog post on this subject:

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:11 PM
  • Along with sound advice from Dale, wanted to share similar issue experienced, where Save & Publish were simply not working, reason was database disk space getting full, just in case you might want to cross check if that's not the cause

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Hi Dale/Sunil,

Thank you for your answer.

No, it is not a problem with the space, as the first thing I did when the problem appeared was to transfer the production environment to a test environment and now I'm working in the test env, a lot of space and same problem. I've checked in the Production env and there is no problem with the space.

I've tried to apply the solution suggested by Dale but I got an error (I didn't copy that error and now I don't get it anymore) and then I started opening the subprojects inside this project one by one, and changing tasks defined manually to automatic tasks, saving and publishing. At the end I opened again the concerned project and tried to apply again the Dale's solution, it worked but, when I opened the locked for shared mpp file and tried to save as (replacing the project in the Project Server) then I get this error:

this one seems to be related with resources. Now I will open the project and all the subprojects looking for Inactive resources or resources that for any reason are mistaken.

As you can see I'm still not able to save the project in the server, I will post the result if I find the solution, or I will ask for more help if I don't find it.

For the time being, if you have another idea...

José Espases

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:57 PM
  • Hi again,

I've found the solution, it was just a matter of cleaning up the mistaken resources. I have to say that the PM didn't do a good job there. The project was plenty of duplicated local resources, enterprise resources as local resources (having a mistake in the name) and so on...

(1) I deleted all resources not used, having Work=0, (2) I took out all the work assigned to Inactive Enterprise Resources and (3) I transferred the work assigned to local resources with a mistake in the name to the correct name as Enterprise Resource. (4) I saved the project as a local mpp file and then (5) overwrite the Project Server project. Now it works fine.

Now I have to explain all this to the PM and ask him to do the same in the production environment. I hope it will work.

José Espases

• Marked as answer by José Espases Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:28 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Jose --

Thank you for your persistence in locating the sources of the problem and in letting us know the solutions to the problem.  Wow, the problem was WAY more complex than merely a corrupted project!  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:52 PM
  • I've actually run into this issue twice now.  Not sure about the exact repro
    steps, but it seems related to having 1-2 resources locally that seem to
    conflict with enterprise resources.  I am not sure how, but my hypothesis
    is that it somehow interferes with the code that checks local resources for
    conflicts with the resource pool - and somehow causes the save process to
    fail.

Needless to say, cleaning up extraneous resources generally seems to resolve
    the issue.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:08 AM