none
Unable to start DPM service while DC is down RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

There was a disaster last night that caused all servers to die. The only server survived was the DPM 2010 as it was located separately. I receive hundreds of errors in the DPM server event log. Main error that the DPM service cannot start and thus I cant start console to recover other servers. I suspect that it happened because it cannot connect to any Domain Controller. These errors are:

1. MSDPM service: Event ID: 976 and 999
    2. SQLAgent$DPM service: SQL Server Scheduled Job '07a77173-ff55-4581-9467-63ebd3067497' (0x324DC9C7017B304FBCD33756D5AF4C27) - Status: Failed - Invoked on: 2011-06-17 16:00:01 - Message: The job failed. The Job was invoked by Schedule 72 (Schedule 1). The last step to run was step 1 (Default JobStep).
    3. System log: The DPM service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this ### time(s)

Please, help.

Friday, June 17, 2011 12:27 PM

Answers

• Error logs found in the folder stated that service "cannot obtain SID for computer BACKUP$". Once i restored the DC (luckily, i had a recent non-DPM copy) the problem has gone. So DC communication is vital and we have to maintain one more reserve DC to be able to restore other servers.

Valeriy Shevtsov, MCT
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 4:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There should not be any dependency of DC and DPM service starting unless you possibly have the DPM DB located on a remote sql server ?  

There should be details of why the dpm service won't start (crashes) in the c:\program files\microsoft dpm\dpm\temp\msdpm*.crash logs - look for sql exception error.  

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Error logs found in the folder stated that service "cannot obtain SID for computer BACKUP$". Once i restored the DC (luckily, i had a recent non-DPM copy) the problem has gone. So DC communication is vital and we have to maintain one more reserve DC to be able to restore other servers.

Valeriy Shevtsov, MCT
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Hi,

I have done many tests with booting the dpm server without having access to a DC and have not had any problems starting the DPM service.  What is the computer BACKUP - is that the DPM server machine name and can you paste the details of the crash in this post so I can investigate. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Yes, BACKUP is the name of DPM server.

As far as I understood, it does not fail immediately. For some time it retains a SID cache but when after some kind of timeout it flushes and problem occurs.

Valeriy Shevtsov, MCT
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 5:35 PM