none
Failure to build WIMs RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have recently undertaken a deploymentshare upgrade on my server.

SP: 2
    Architecture: x86
    .NET 4.5.1 installed.  WRM3.0 installed.

I upgraded to MDT2013x86 and ADK 8.1.

I made a few more changes and then tried to generate my WIM boot image (Completely regenerate boot images).  Only it now refuses to generate a x64 image.  failing with the following error:

Its like it doesnt have the x64 tool, but I think it does.  I'm stuck can anyone help? I need fresh eyes on this problem.
    System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: Unable to open the specified WIM file. ---> System.Exception: Unable to open the specified WIM file. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The data is invalid
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.BDD.Core.BDDWimFile..ctor(String wimPath, Boolean forUpdate)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.UpdateDeploymentPoint.UpdateBootImage(String template, String platform, String dpPath, Boolean createISO, String isoName)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.UpdateDeploymentPoint.ProcessRecord()
       at System.Management.Automation.Cmdlet.DoProcessRecord()
       at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.SynchronousExecuteEnumerate(Object input, Hashtable errorResults, Boolean enumerate)
       at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.SynchronousExecute(Array input, Hashtable errorResults)
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeHelper()
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeThreadProc()

Regards JH

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:51 PM

Answers

• I believe MDT sources that data from the ADK - can you attempt a reinstall of the ADK?  You can also validate your ADK install under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Kits\ and inside of Installed Roots, you should only have your current updated ADK.  If it's not your \boot\ that's the issue, it's gotta be your ADK.  Let me know if this helps.

Ryan

• Marked as answer by _Jonnie Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:23 PM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:21 PM

All replies

• Why can't it open the WIM file?

Do you already have it mounted?

Did you not grant the correct privileges?

Will a reboot fix the problem?

When all else fails, rebuild the server.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:05 PM
  • Yes  or you could wipe the boot directory and regenerate boot images.  As Keith says it sounds like it's mounted.  Opening a command prompt and typing DISM /get-mountedwiminfo will tell you if anythings stuck mounted.
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:16 PM
  • Why can't it open the WIM file? - I'm asking you that

Do you already have it mounted? - No

Did you not grant the correct privileges? - Everyone Group Full Share / Everyone Group Full NTFS

Will a reboot fix the problem? - No

When all else fails, rebuild the server. - Really? Thanks for that.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.co

Regards JH

Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:27 PM
  • Yes  or you could wipe the boot directory and regenerate boot images.  As Keith says it sounds like it's mounted.  Opening a command prompt and typing DISM /get-mountedwiminfo will tell you if anythings stuck mounted.

DISM cant be used on Server 2008.  This is 2008 SP2, not Server 2008 R2.

EDIT - Tried wiping the boot folder - Didnt work.

Regards JH

• Edited by _Jonnie Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:32 PM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:28 PM
  • I believe MDT sources that data from the ADK - can you attempt a reinstall of the ADK?  You can also validate your ADK install under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Kits\ and inside of Installed Roots, you should only have your current updated ADK.  If it's not your \boot\ that's the issue, it's gotta be your ADK.  Let me know if this helps.

Ryan

• Marked as answer by _Jonnie Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:23 PM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:21 PM
  • Wad just replying when you posted that.

Re-installing ADK solved my issue.

Regards JH

Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:23 PM
  • Awesome good to hear and nice work.
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:50 PM