none
Project Online Licenese and Access RRS feed

• Question

• Is a license required for users to use the timesheet feature or to be able to update % complete on a task?  It appears I can grant access to project workspaces without any issues, but when I have the users(NON PM) try to get to task or timesheets, they get an error message about needing a licenses.

I can understand paying 33 per month for PM to access Project online, but not for users to just input % complete.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi coneslager1, a license is required to access any functionality of Project Online, including the timesheets or task updates.

Best regards,

Brian Smith.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:38 PM
    Owner
  • Hello Brian,

What about accessing the Project Site that is created for a Project? Do users need a PO license for that? Also, what about external users? Can they be invited to the Project Site using a Partner Access License (PAL)?

Thanks!

string fakeEmail="jim.duncan@sharesquared.spam.com"; string realEmail=fakeEmail.Replace(".spam","")

Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:42 PM
  • Hi Brian (or anyone else)

I have tried to find out about Project Online licencing generally but I must be very poor in my search ability as I am having difficulties finding anything that clearly articulates how the licencing works for Project Online.

Can you point me to anywhere that provide details of how the licencing works?  We are using Project Server 2010 and have just started looking into Project Server 2013, and in particular, Project Online, and clearly cost will be a factor we need to consider.

Any help you can give to point me to where I can get information about the licencing model would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:34 AM
  • Tuesday, April 23, 2013 11:04 AM
  • Hi Ismet

Thanks for that.  I have previously visited these links however they do not provide me with the info I need about specific licencing for Project Online. 

I contacted the MS Customer Support Team and was advised that Project Online is not available in Australia yet (maybe in May?) and was given a 1800 number to call in Australia for licencing enquiries which turned out to be a Telstra number.  Seems that Telstra manage the licencing in Australia not Microsoft, hence nothing on the Microsoft sites about the costs.

Anyway, I called the number, pressed the relevent buttons and the phone rang out.  Now I have lost the 1800 number ... Doh!

I don't know why it should be so hard to get this information!  I just want to get an understanding of what the costs may be if we upgrade when it is available so I can present to my management.

I'll keep trying....

Peter

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 11:24 PM
  • Thank you Peter, for feedback...
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:11 PM
  • We also have the questions about licensing for those just needing to see tasks and report time sheets. Seems crazy that they would need a full license at $33/per user, but I have talked to several folks at Microsoft who confirm this to be the case. This makes it very difficult to sell this product to clients!
    Friday, May 3, 2013 5:32 PM
  • Spoke to Microsoft this afternoon.  Every user you want to fill out a time sheet will need a Project Online license.  Here were their suggestions:

• Yes, the Timesheets require a PWA access license. The users could instead use a SharePoint Task List, and the PM’s could then update PWA task status, allowing them to use the EPM planning functionality for their PM’s, but for full featured use of the core Timesheets feature, the PWA users require a license as well.

Monday, May 6, 2013 10:31 PM
  • Thanks, Louise.

Any info about licensing the Project Site that is created for a project? Do users need a PO license to access JUST that? Can External users be invited to the Project Site (with a PAL)?

string fakeEmail="jim.duncan@sharesquared.spam.com"; string realEmail=fakeEmail.Replace(".spam","")

Monday, May 6, 2013 11:12 PM
  • As the site contains Project data Jim, including a full task list, this would also require a license for Project Online.

Best regards,

Brian

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Monday, May 6, 2013 11:43 PM
    Owner
  • Ok, that pretty much makes it a non-starter for us.

We currently use a custom SharePoint site (on SharePoint Online) for collaborating with customers on the projects we do for them. On this site we include an image of the project timeline view and a PDF of the current project plan/schedule.

We were hoping that the project site created for a project (in Project Online) could take the place of our custom client site, but purchasing a Project Online license for each of our customers would be too cost-prohibitive.

Thanks for the info, Brian; let me know if MS changes their stance on this...

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:50 PM