Sharepoint 2010 and WSS 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• <p>Hi,</p><p>we currently use Sharepoint 2010 for a number of different depts and&nbsp;Project Server 2010 but we have inherited a WSS 3.0 installation from a company&nbsp;acquisuired. This WSS is on another AD domain but we would like to somehow import it into our Sharepoint 2010. The WSS has it's own content Database but what would be the best approach to deal with the import?</p><p>Thanks.</p><p></p>
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:24 PM

Answers

• Do a standard SharePoint database attach upgrade.  If you have a two-way trust between the domains, then no further action is required.  If you have a one-way trust (SharePoint 2010's domain trusts the existing WSS3's domain), then you'll need to leverage the peoplepicker-searchadforests property to search the remote domain.  If there is no trust in place, you'll need to migrate the user accounts using stsadm -o migrateuser or Move-SPUser to accounts that exist in SharePoint 2010's domain.

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc263299(office.14).aspx

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Dmitry Kaloshin Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by brownfc Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:40 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:51 PM

All replies

• Do a standard SharePoint database attach upgrade.  If you have a two-way trust between the domains, then no further action is required.  If you have a one-way trust (SharePoint 2010's domain trusts the existing WSS3's domain), then you'll need to leverage the peoplepicker-searchadforests property to search the remote domain.  If there is no trust in place, you'll need to migrate the user accounts using stsadm -o migrateuser or Move-SPUser to accounts that exist in SharePoint 2010's domain.

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc263299(office.14).aspx

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Dmitry Kaloshin Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by brownfc Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:40 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:51 PM
  • Thanks Trevor. I'll test this by building a Sharepoint 2010 Server so I don't affect the Live Server. I can recreate the accounts so I'll probably won't need to migrate the other domain accounts. If I do a Database attach upgrade will that affect the existing Sharepoint 2010 site (we only have a single Farm)? I was thinking I could prehaps create a new site in the existing Farm for the WSS content.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 4:57 PM
  • No, in a database attach upgrade you would back up the existing WSS 3 database, move it to the SQL Server servicing your 2010 farm, and attach the database to your SharePoint 2010 server.  Your WSS 3 site is still live during this process.

-----------------------

Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:09 PM
  • When you're ready for your final upgrade you should mark your WSS3 site as read-only or with a redirect in place to it's new URL (if the URL is changing).

My CodePlex - My Blog - My Twitter

Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:18 AM