none
Project server 2013 PowerView Reports = Data Analysis in Project 2003? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

I've just moved Sharepoint from 2003 to 2013 (i know big step huh?). Anyway now we want to migrate to Project Server 2013. I've already configured OLAP and pretty much have the new Project server 2013 figured out, i imported resources, i managed access, even made custom enterprise fields. One small thing though, how the heck do you make reports?

I've followed the guide: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662106.aspx#ConfigurePrerequisites

However in excel 2013, after installing PowerView and PowerPivot add-ins, all i get after importing OData is a bunch of jiberish. random numbers and characters. I just can't get my head around making reports.

Here's where i'm getting at. In 2003 we had Data Analysis, and it looked like this:

It was simple, interactive, and it pretty much got everything right. All we needed was overall timesheet data analysis. 

But i've done some digging, and there seems that no Data Analysis exists anymore. For practical reasons, even if i wrap my head around the excel way of making Project Server 2013 reports, its still complicated for end users like Project Managers and Office girls. I would like a web based solution that i can configure once, and anyone i deem access worthy could enter and export their reports in excel.

Now i found this: http://msprojectmvp.blogspot.ro/2015/01/how-to-configure-and-build-powerview.html 

At first glance it seems like the equivalent of Data Analysis. Well is it?

Cause i don't wanna install this unless its what i am looking for and i've yet to understand how it works. From what i was able to understand, even if i install this PowerView for Project Server,  i still need to use excel powerpivot to generate the reports or something, and then view and generate more reports after that from the PowerView App? Its all very confusing to me.

So, if i install the SQL Server 2014 in PowerPivot instance for the Project Server 2013, will i be able to use it to generate reports like in Data Analysis in project server 2003?

Thank you.

Thursday, July 9, 2015 11:17 AM