Why can't IE 10 on Windows 8 handle www.bloomberg.com? RRS feed

• Question

• IE 10 on my Windows 8 computer hangs, crashes or displays the page abnormally whenever a tab is http://www.bloomberg.com/.

FF and Chrome on the same computer does not have any problem with this site.  What are the possible causes?

Hong

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Bloomberg.com uses Google urchin tracker....

the long running scripts problem is usually associated with facebook api's or perhaps google plus api's.... (enuming your social contacts  ('friends') lists.

you should solve the problem by running IE in no addons mode or disabling your Google (or perhaps facebook) toolbars (close and restart IE for the full changes to take affect)....

your Tracking protection lists (install from ieaddons.com or Tools>Manage addons>Get more addons) may include blocking for the google urchin tracker and google plus content.  I use the list from Tuste.. but you can manually block google content from your personal tracking lists.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:07 AM

All replies

• FF and Chrome on the same computer does not have any problem with this site.

Neither does my IE10, even with ActiveX Filtering off.   See if you have the same problem with ActiveX Filtering on?   (Alt-x,S,X)
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:05 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the tip.  

I have turned on ActiveX Filtering, it seems to be slightly better in the sense IE does not completely hang, but it is still problematic.  I keep getting the following:

Hong

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:56 PM
  • Are you using IE10 on Windows 8?

Hong

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:56 PM
  • Hi,

Bloomberg.com uses Google urchin tracker....

the long running scripts problem is usually associated with facebook api's or perhaps google plus api's.... (enuming your social contacts  ('friends') lists.

you should solve the problem by running IE in no addons mode or disabling your Google (or perhaps facebook) toolbars (close and restart IE for the full changes to take affect)....

your Tracking protection lists (install from ieaddons.com or Tools>Manage addons>Get more addons) may include blocking for the google urchin tracker and google plus content.  I use the list from Tuste.. but you can manually block google content from your personal tracking lists.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:07 AM
  • Thanks for the elucidation, Rob.

Since www.bloomber.com is the only website that I have found so far with this problem. I will just avoid browsing it with IE.  Other website that I browse frequently (e.g. yahoo, CNBC) have scripts too, but they never have this issue.

Hong

Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:19 AM
  • Hi,

thx for the feedback.... google analytics and google urchin tracker are used by many, many sites....on their own they don't usually interfere with IE's security and privacy features... It is when you have other Addons (toolbars) installed that they can (in some circumstances) cause problems...

If other sites using them don't have the same long running scripts issue, then it may be that you have placed Bloomberg in your IE's trusted sites list.. (or facebook or google) as IE has security zone settings that monitor actions between sites in different security zones....

For all intents and purposes web sites should work just as well if they are not placed in your trusted sites zone... (the Trusted Sites zone actually has less security...) commonly companies will place domains there for business to business commerce transactions where they are known to them, but one site does not have the full security requirements for trusted transactions (signed ActiveX controls, expired or no certificates)...

Bloomberg is well known to me in the finance industry (Treasury).... their public access website is something new (to me)... as I have always known them as a corporate identity...

Be aware that their data (on the public access website) may not be as timely as you may expect (there should be disclaimers about its accuracy).. if you are using them for your SMF. Why a commercial site would use third-party tracking and social networking tools is beyond me.

If you saw "Wall Street" you would know that tacking a fund managers' movements reaps dividends. For that reason I always turn off the Geolocation options on my devices... (not that I am a fund manager).

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, January 4, 2013 2:25 AM
  • Thanks, Rob, for the comment.  I have disabled all 3rd party toolbars, and the www.bloomberg.com is not on the trusted sites list.  It used to be fine on the same computer before it was upgraded from Win7 t Win 8, hence IE9 to IE10.

Hong

Friday, January 4, 2013 10:22 AM