'My Places' bar issue in Microsoft Office 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I found a problem with the 'My Places' bar in Microsoft Office 2003.  FYI, the 'My Places' bar appears in the left pane of both the 'Open' and 'Save As' dialog boxes in Microsoft Office programs, and it contains shortcuts to items or folders such as My Recent Documents, My Documents, Desktop, and My Network Places.  Clicking on one of these shortcuts will open up that item or folder in the right pane of the dialog box.

Here's the issue: the 'My Network Places' shortcut in the 'My Places' bar disappeared when you applied restrictions in the Shared Computer Toolkit, but the shortcut still remains when you do the same in SteadyState, no matter which restriction level you choose.  Unfortunately, most of the small public libraries that I help support have very flat networks--both staff and public access computers are connected to the same unmanaged switch--and the 'My Network Places' shortcut gives public users unwanted access to shared folders and files on other computers and servers.

The KB document at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826214 describes how to edit the registry to hide the shortcut, but is there any way to do it using SteadyState?    

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 6:36 PM

Answers

•  Hi,

Steadystate could not do this. I am afraid the best option now is to following the kb.

I will forward the feedback to the product team. For any progress on this issue, I will update here. Thanks for the understanding.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:26 AM

All replies

•  Hi,

Steadystate could not do this. I am afraid the best option now is to following the kb.

I will forward the feedback to the product team. For any progress on this issue, I will update here. Thanks for the understanding.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:26 AM
  • Thanks for following through on this. One additional thought -- we could remove it GPO, or we could also de-select Client for Microsoft Networks in the Network properties, but this would remove it for all users. Then the admin couldn't easily get to the network PCs (i.e. event logs and shared support folders etc.) in the workgroup, which is what I like to do. If you look into this, can you see about blocking it for just the user you are configuring for SteadyState?

Friday, November 2, 2007 4:56 PM