none
How does DPM 2010 handle replicas and shadow RRS feed

• Question

• I migrated from DPM 2007 to 2010 and just had to delete and recreate a PG and noticed this behavior:

DPM 2007:
    \\?\Volume{guid }\
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\server.domain\File System\C-guid \

DPM 2010:
    \\?\Volume{guid }\
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\File System\vol_guid \

I thought something was wrong until I read this from Mike Jacquet:

"The purpose of the change was to support co-location of multiple data sources on a single replica volume.  There is no longer a 1 to 1 relationship between a server-datasource and a replica volume like there was in DPM 2007."

Where is this documented and/or do I understand correctly that replicas now live on one volume and the differentials live on another?

Can somebody please clarify so I understand the new architecture?

Thanks in advance,
    Brit Davis

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Brit,

with DPM2007 each data source had 1 replica volume and 1 recovery point volume.
    The recovery point volumes is just the VSS diff area for the replica volume (where the diffs live as you say).

with DPM2010 this is still the case but no long the only case.
    With the introduction of disk colocation (SQL, Hyper-V, Client protection) multiple data sources share the same replica/recovery point volume twin.
    To manage that the path naming had to change and an additional level was added which is what you see.

This is not specifically documented anywhere except that in the protection pane mid lower section -> details does show the applicable path for the datasource.
    E.g. you would need this doing manual seed of the replica.

Hope this helps.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:16 PM