Need ideas on managing IT assets RRS feed

• Question

• I'm the new guy in the PC Support section for a large retailer.  As I've found out in my one week here, we don't have a 'system' to keep our IT systems current with vendor specific updates.  We've got ~600 PC's, a hundred or so laptops and several hundred stores.  We use WSUS for MS updates, but programs and their updates, patches, whatever are pushed out with VB scripts from a network share.  The vast majority of our assets are Dell's.  I asked about Systems Center and was told a Network Admin tried it and didn't like it (unknown why or how long ago it was).  My supervisor said that a lot of time is spent updating assets with BIOS updates and others after the fact - when something has gone wrong.

What are other people doing to stay ahead of the game? (I have my supervisors 'blessing' to ask around.)

Mike

south-central Nebraska
    Friday, June 24, 2011 9:44 PM

Answers

• If all/most are dell desktops, Dell has a Desktop Support Management that scans/inventories and manages dell PC's in the environment, they use it for auditing workstations in large environments.  Contact Dell Desktop Support Enterprise group, it's a nifty tool and works well.
    • Marked as answer by RV2011 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:35 PM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:21 PM

All replies

• Well just forget the past.. and moved on and do your best :) in any other cases if you require any technical help.. I believe we will be glad to assist you :) Meanwhile is always great to allow your boss to call the shot :)
    Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!! Please don't vote me for answers... because i do not want others to feels that i'm cheating ? :) In any case God knows :)
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 8:05 AM
  • If all/most are dell desktops, Dell has a Desktop Support Management that scans/inventories and manages dell PC's in the environment, they use it for auditing workstations in large environments.  Contact Dell Desktop Support Enterprise group, it's a nifty tool and works well.
    • Marked as answer by RV2011 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:35 PM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Thanks, I'll suggest that to my supervisor.

Mike

south-central Nebraska
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:35 PM