none
Can not start boot Windows Server 2012 when upgarde in place Windows 2008-[ugrent]

Question

• Dear MS Technical

I have a Server IBM X 3650 M3 running Windows Server 2008. I have just upgraded in place Windows 2012 check compatible ok.

When restart check start Windows 2012 failed below:

"Windows Server failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem"

File: \$Windows.~BT\Windows\System32\drivers\ql2300.sys

I think file ql2300.sys is driver of FC SAN V3700.

Please help me. This is server so important  for me.

Many thanks

Saturday, May 05, 2018 7:45 AM

Answers

• In-place upgrade can be very risky and are never recommended. I'd check here and with manufacturer to see if hardware has support for newer OS. The safer / cleaner method is to clean install the OS, patch it fully then migrate roles or applications over to it

https://www.windowsservercatalog.com/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, May 05, 2018 1:45 PM

All replies

• In-place upgrade can be very risky and are never recommended. I'd check here and with manufacturer to see if hardware has support for newer OS. The safer / cleaner method is to clean install the OS, patch it fully then migrate roles or applications over to it

https://www.windowsservercatalog.com/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, May 05, 2018 1:45 PM
  • Dear  Dave Patrick

A few days ago I successfully upgraded Window Server 2008 to Windows Server 2012 and 2012R2 Running on the HP DL 380G5 Hardware Server.

Then I upgraded to the server for IBM X 3650M3 7945 Xeon 6C 3.33Ghz. Prior to upgrade I have updated the latest firmware (d6e163aus) and IMM (yuooh4b).

Using copy file and inplace from disk local. when reboot install start failed windows 2012 below.

File: \$Windows.~BT\Windows\System32\drivers\ql2300.sys"

After that, I try many method to fix it but this is not error BCD boot or missing boot. This is missing driver ql2300.sys.

I try boot windows old 2008 error 

after ten hours, I have tried to fix the error on success by copying the ql2300.sys file from another Windows Server 2012 paste into USB boot and has started some upgrade process of Windows Server 2012. 

The server continues to restart to upgrade as form. However, the process failed and windows rolled back to windows 2008.

I still do not understand the upgrade process has been successful, but to the end of failure update failed and returned to the previous OS

Now i Using old windows server 2008.  Step by step migration application and roles and files server to other server and install again WS2012.

It is fortunate for me to return the original operating system Windows Server 2008

Thanks

Saturday, May 05, 2018 8:52 PM
  • It may be that an in-place upgrade is simply not possible on this server. You may be able to extract what you need from these downloads.

https://www-945.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/systemx/selectFixes?parent=System%20x3650%20M3&product=ibm/systemx/7945&&platform=Windows+2012+R2&function=all

You'll likely reach more users that may have experience doing this task on same hardware over here.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/forum?id=11111111-0000-0000-0000-000000002691

Saturday, May 05, 2018 9:19 PM
  • Thanks Dave Patrick .

I installed the driver from the above page. But now I'm afraid not dare update inplace :). Install new windows server 2012r2

Regards 

Saturday, May 05, 2018 9:42 PM
  • Agreed, that's your best option.

Saturday, May 05, 2018 9:45 PM