Receiving two prompts when downloading a file. RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning all,

I have a RDS Environment. Session Hosts, Collection Brokers, Web servers and Gateway servers are all Windows 2012 R2. GPO are used to lockdown and configure the uses sessions and desktops. This is a terminal server deployment, not a virtualized desktop deployment. Users' profile are stored via profile disks. The browser used in this environment is IE 11, not Edge.

When an end users downloads a pdf file, they receive two prompt in succession. The first asks: "Do you want to save 'PDF file name' from 'website url'?". This first prompt has a 'Save' button and an 'Cancel' button. It does not have an 'Open' button. The website url is in the Trusted security zone for IE 11. If the users click the 'Save' button, the second  prompt states: "The 'PDF file name' download has completed." This second prompt has an 'Open' button, 'Open folder' button and 'View downloads' button.

When an Admin downloads a PDF, they receive only one prompt. It asks: "Do you want to open or save 'PDF file name' from 'website url'?". This prompt has three butons: 'Open', 'Save', and Cancel.

What configuration or configurations are set in GPOs to cause this double prompts?

My goal is to have all users have only one prompt with three buttons, like the admin users.

Thank for your help on this.

Anton

• Edited by Anton1701 Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:00 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 6:44 PM

Answers

• Hello All,

I found the solution!

Internet Setting > Advanced > Security section > uncheck "Do not save encrypted files to disk."

Thank you all!

Anton

• Marked as answer by Anton1701 Tuesday, August 2, 2016 8:30 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 8:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Anton,

Based on your description, it seems that we may try to change some settings. Please refer to the screenshot.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, April 16, 2016 9:07 AM
  • Good morning Tao,

Clearing this check box has no effect on Admins or End users.

Anton

Monday, April 18, 2016 12:50 PM
  • I do not wish for the user to use the Browser to open pdf files. I want pdf files to be open with the pdf reader that is installed on the RDs Session hosts.
    Monday, April 25, 2016 10:16 PM
  • This doe no happen for the admins on the 70 server this is con figured for. It does happen for all end users. For all PDF readers to fail in the same way seems a little to  of a stretch.
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:48 PM
  • Hi,

another known issue that manifestes as two download requests is when an <embed> element is used but the type attribute is not specified.

eg. <embed src="mydocument.pdf"/>

it should be

<embed src="mydocument.pdf" type="application/pdf"/>

Please inspect your page markup (View>Source or F12>DOM Explorer) and confirm if you are using the above design pattern.

and for good measure

use the F12>Networking tab to confirm that the response for the PDF is using the correct mime-type that matches the type attribute on the host embed (or object) element.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, April 29, 2016 2:43 AM
  • If the was a was an <embed> element then the issue would occur for all user. As it do not accur for me, but is does for my end user, this is not the issue. I did look into this to be smart and safe. The <embed> elements do have a 'src' and 'type' attribute.

Monday, May 9, 2016 10:01 PM
  • Hi Anton,

f12>Networking tab, click the start button to record the request and responses.

Repeat testing for both the admin and user accounts on a client workstation and compare the network traffic results.

f12>Console tab, type

navigator.platform

in the script text box to return the current tab's bitness (for the internet and intranet zones win86 expected)

f12>Emulation tab, will tell you which Emulation mode was established by Enterprise Mode or x-ua. Expected both user and admin accounts map to the same emulation mode.

Post back with your PDF Viewer name and version(Adobe PDF viewer)..... IF you have upgraded from XP and not yet also updated your PDF viewer application, do so. Older versions of Adobe PDF viewer also use a satellite BHO (Browser Helper Object) - called the Adobe PDF link helper. Use tools>manage addons>Show all addons to see if it is installed and enabled.. if you are using the latest versions of Adobes' PDF viewer, then the link helper should no longer be in the Addons manager's list... my gut feeling is this BHO.

and/or compare the IE Security zone settings for both the user and admin accounts.. (although there are no known/reported security zone settings that result in two download prompts.)

Further..... are secured protocols involved (https).... look for redirects in the response headers(from http to https) and check if "Do not save encrypted files to disk" is unchecked on the advanced tab of internet options

Rob^_^

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 1:54 AM
  • Networking traffic results were the same, navigator.platform was the same for both. Admin and User accounts mapped to the same emulation mode.

Is that a way to list the Local Security setting granted by member ship in the Local Administrators group?

If a place my User that I am testing with into the Local Administrators group the extra prompt does not popup. And the single prompt does have all three buttons: Save, Close and Cancel.

GPResult does not list any setting that are not configured via GPO.

What are the User Rights Assignment and Security Option grant to a member of the Local Adminstrators group?

Thank you

Anton

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 10:22 PM
  • Hello All,

I found the solution!

Internet Setting > Advanced > Security section > uncheck "Do not save encrypted files to disk."

Thank you all!

Anton

• Marked as answer by Anton1701 Tuesday, August 2, 2016 8:30 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 8:29 PM