Weird excessive memory usage in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have just formatted my disk and installed new Windows 7 Ultimate x86 on my ASUS laptop V1S with 2GB RAM. I have installed just few applications as Firefox browser, Avast antivirus and then not much else. When I check my Task Manager it says that I am using 50% of my physical memory which is 1GB but I have like 30 processes running with Firefox taking 220 MB of memory, 2 processes about 50 MB each and the rest of them like 1-20 MB... when I sum it up it was like 500 MB together. I have "Show processes from all users" enabled. Where is lost my other 500MB of RAM? Thank you for your help.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 4:09 PM

Answers

• You can only view process memory performance from Task Manager, but cannot get the system memory performance information.

Memory Performance Information
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa965225(VS.85).aspx

Only programs that will run in kernel mode can get system memory performance information.

Actually even if you kill all processes from Task Manager, it is not possible you find that the memory usage is 0.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:12 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:54 AM