Installing Skype for Business Server in a parent child domain RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

I was at a customer trying to install Skype for Business Server and I encountered the following error:

Not Available: Schema preparation requires Active Directory administrative tools to be installed. These tools are installed as a Windows feature under Remote Server Administration Tools in the Windows add feature wizard.

I already installed all the necessary roles and features on the domain controller and both the SFB server and DC is up to date. After troubleshooting for a while, I realised that the SFB server was pointing to a child dc and not the primary dc. Also, the primary dc is a windows server 2003 server. The user being used for the install has enterprise admin, domain admin and schema admin credentials. Below is the customer's setup. Please note that all the necessary roles and features were installed on child dc (windows server 2012).

1 Primary DC (Windows Server 2003) FSMO Roles: Domain naming master, Schema Master, PDC, RID pool manager, Infrastructure master

1 Child DC (Windows Server 2003)

2 Child DC’s (Windows Server 2012) 

Any guidance or assistance will be appreciated. 

Thursday, November 3, 2016 12:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Jaykay,

Welcome to our forum.

Please install all features on Skype for business server 2015:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn933900.aspx 

In addition, before we install Skype for business on child domain, we will prepare schema in parent domain, the domain controller’s OS must Windows server 2008 at least, so we suggest you update domain controller on parent domain to higher version, please refer to the following link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn933910.aspx 

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Edited by jim-xu Friday, November 4, 2016 10:13 AM
    • Proposed as answer by jim-xu Sunday, November 20, 2016 4:31 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2016 10:13 AM