SYSTEM CENTRE ESSENTIALS COMPARED TO SCOM/SCCM RRS feed

• Question

• I need some advice on evaluating SCE compared to SCCM/SCOM.  We have to make decision if SCE suits our needs or if we need to purchase sccm/scom.  I think we have budget for purchasing only one of SCCM or SCOM but not both, so I am looking at SCE has another option.  I have few questions below if someone can assist who may used these products, the questions are:

From reading about SCE it can only monitor 50 servers, 500 workstations.  Does that mean it can only monitor 50 servers, as opposed to scom which monitor any number of servers according to client licenses of course, and also it can only do do hardware/software inventory on 50 servers as opposed to sccm which can do any number of servers.  Is this correct.

Also regarding the SCOM management packs for all servers such as exchange, sql, biztalk etc, are they the same for mgt packs you use with SCE, so you get all the same rules but the only difference is the 50 server limitation.  Can we use 3rd party mgt packs in sce such as for vmware, dell and symmantec.

Also is the same reporting function you get in SCE as with SCOM.  Can you get reports on the availability in SCE

We may be able to get away with monitoring 50 servers only as we can list 50 critical servers we want to monitor, and then use SCE, but i think we need SCCM as we need software/hardware inventory on all our servers which we have more than 100.

But can the above questions be answered, in particular the mgt packs used in SCE and SCOM and reporting in SCE and SCOM.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Here are my opinions:

1.    System Center Essentials has a limit on managed servers and clients, up to 50 Windows-based server operating system environments and up to 500 Windows-based client operating system environments.

Supported Topologies and Performance Guidance for System Center Essentials 2010

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb422797.aspx

2.    Almost all of the management packs for System Center Operations Manager can also be used in System Center Essentials. For more information, please refer to:

Management Packs for System Center Essentials

http://blogs.technet.com/b/systemcenteressentials/archive/2008/09/29/system-center-essentials-management-packs.aspx

3.    Regarding reporting, System Center Essentials data storage limited to 40 days; and no report authoring.

4.    Regarding software/hardware inventory, System Center Essentials collects 60+ fixed software and hardware attributes; System Center Configuration Manager inventory is extensible.

In addition, I would like to share the following with you for your reference:

Compare Products

http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/en/us/essentials/sce-compare-products.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, July 30, 2010 9:50 AM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:36 AM