Windows 10 Install Wizard Won't Accept Purchased Windows 10 License Key RRS feed

• Question

• My machine in question is an HP Stream Mini.  It came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 with Bing.

Initially, I tried the straight forward route of upgrading with the upgrade tool, but there wasn't enough room on the hard drive.  So, I realized it was going to be necessary to do the upgrade via an .iso stored on a USB drive.

So, on my Mac (because it has plenty of space to download the file),  I went to the website and downloaded the .iso for "Windows 10 Single Language Edition" (English) - sounded like it would take up less of my precious hard drive space.  HOWEVER, WHEN I ATTEMPTED THE UPGRADE, THE INSTALL WIZARD WITHIN THIS .ISO REFUSED TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE WINDOWS 8.1 INSTALLED AND INSISTED ON PROMPTING ME FOR A LICENSE KEY (NO "SKIP" BUTTON).

So, in total frustration, I went out and purchased a license key for Windows 10 Home from Microsoft's store - WHICH I SHOULDN'T HAVE NEEDED TO DO...WAS ENTITLED TO THE FREE UPGRADE.  Then, again on my Mac, I clicked the "download" link in the order confirmation e-mail provided by Microsoft.  I then proceeded to re-download the Windows 10 Single Langauge Edition .iso file (I wanted to make sure that I did in fact have the right version and that it wasn't just a corrupted download issue).  I then put this fresh .iso file on the thumb drive and attempted the upgrade again on the HP Stream Mini.  When prompted for the product key, I entered my newly purchased product key for Windows 10 Home Edition...and I get the following error message:  "This key doesn't work with this edition of Windows.  Try a different key."

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?  It's a Windows 10 product key freshly purchased from the Microsoft store!  Moreover, the .iso file was downloaded directly from the download link provided by Microsoft in the same confirmation e-mail that contained the product key (meaning the product key and .iso file should definitely be compatible).

I'M SO FRUSTRATED!  I thought this version was supposed to demonstrate that Microsoft had gotten it's act together...THEN WHY IS THIS UPGRADE, THAT SHOULD BE VERY STRAIGHT FORWARD, TURNED INTO SUCH A FIASCO?  Even more importantly, how can I get past this hurdle and accomplish the upgrade?

Thursday, August 6, 2015 2:10 PM

Answers

• Hi electro_gadgetz,

Which edition you have downloaded?

According to the error messages, please ensure you have downloaded the right version. If you have got a Windows 10 Home Edition. We should choose the first option not the single language edition.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Bruce Wooding Saturday, August 15, 2015 12:40 AM
    Friday, August 7, 2015 5:38 AM