none
Why, Microsoft, Why? RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft, you've had years to figure all this stuff out. Why is it I can still be typing along and suddenly I'm pressing yes to some important question? Or typing my password into a live messenger conversation window and sending it to my mother when I was clearly in the middle of typing my password to my exchange login (both Microsoft programs)?

And why is Vista so slow?

And why can't I use 32bit drivers on Vista 64?

And why is my perfectly good scanner and printer driver not not installing? I thought the Windows Driver Model was about making one driver work on all version of windows?

And why are a bunch of services running that make no sense to me as to what they are for?

And why are you claiming that vista is the best yet and that you support all the commonly used hardware when you don't?

And why do you feel the need to change interfaces in MS Office and confuse the world and necessitate the need for every one to go take a class to re-learn how to use Office (I once spent 15 mins looking for something that used to be on the File Menu)

And why with the advent of Windows Update can't you just stick with XP and continue to make it better rather than have to come out with a whole new operating system that looks like it was made by a bunch of gaming teenagers (no offense gamers and teenagers)

And what on earth were you thinking when you decided to (by default) hide the Run command from the Start menu?

And why cant I drag and drop files from the Windows Explorer to a program thats running with elevated rights?

And why do I have to come inches from having a grande mal seizure every time vista pops up its UAC prompt?

And why do I sometimes double click on a program its UAC prompt just flashes on the task bar? I'm sitting there waiting and waiting and finally I look at the task bar and there it is, flashing at me. What a waste of time.

And why did you make connecting to a wireless network harder and more obscure? It was awesome the way it was in XP.

And why do you feel the need to have a search indexer running on my computer, watching everything I do, indexing all my files. Unless your running on a 386 processor, the search function is fast enough without it. I dont want to search whats in some index database that may or may not be up-to-date or corrupt...I want to search what is actually on my hard drive at this very moment.

And why is it that when I map a drive to a Network path (and tell it to connect as a different user and to remember the user name and password) that every time I reboot and double click on the mapped drive, it asks me for the username and password?

And why is that if I click on a shortcut in my quick launch bar that points to that mapped drive or a document on that mapped drive that it doesn't do anything and I sit there for 5 mins waiting for it open and then I realize that I just booted up and I have to go into My computer, open the mapped drive and give it my user name and password and THEN click on the shortcut in the quick launch bar. Yeah....Windows is doing wonders for my efficiancy and productivity.

And why is that when I click on a button with shield on it, I get some crazy warning and am asked a question about whether or not I clicked on the button. Can't you tell I clicked on the button?

And why is it when I delete a folder I have to go through 2 or 3 prompts AND a UAC prompt to delete it? Its my computer....not yours.

And why the heck did you change the interface for eventlogs? Its a mess. I cant even tell what I'm looking at. It was fine the way it was.

And why is it that when windows discovers there are bad sectors on the hard drive and that drive failure may be immanent, that you feel the need to record this in a log file that no standard user reads rather than pop up a handy message box?

And why is that every time I upgrade my computer to a faster system, you want me to upgrade to a new OS that includes more c r a p that slows it down?

And why does Windows have an activation feature, but not a deactivation feature? Do you realy expect me to buy a new copy of the same OS every time I decomission one computer and replace it with a new one? I mean...I'm not using the OS on the old computer any more, I should be able to use it on the new computer. But you'd rather have me waste money on buying a whole new OS license to go with it? That sounds greedy to me. Are you greedy Microsoft?

And why does Windows have to c r a p out when I move my old hard drive from the old computer with a VIA chipset to a new computer with a intel chipset? Can you seriously not see that you need to be loading a different set of IDE drivers to avoid the blue screens? (I'm quoting a Technet/support article here, so dont fault me if I'm incorrect on the cause of the blue screen). I thought this was an age of plug and play? But nooo....I have to reinstall windows just to get it working again. What was the point of safe mode again?

And why did you remove/hide the advanced "Edit File Type" dialog that allows me to create/edit multiple file type associations

And why does Office 2007 not theme itself to the current theme I have set in Windows? I thought the whole Windows Logo program required that the app adhere to windows theming? Do you not follow your own standards? The same goes for Windows Live messenger and probably many other Microsoft programs.

And Why does MS Outlook insist on putting its database/pst file in some crazy hidden hard to find location where it likely wont get backed up (in the case of a user that backs up only their My Docs)?

And why does Visual Studio .Net have a 30 MB runtime that slows down my computer?

And why are there like 4 or 5 different versions of .Net? Is it that bad? I mean, come on, we need some stability here.

And why does Visual Basic 6 still have errors/bugs in the IDE. You guys clearly need to come out with a VB6 Service pack 7.

And why cant I use VB6 to develop software on Vista? It wont even open the vbp file. Says it cant find it, but its clearly there since I double clicked on it.

And whats the deal with icons and pictures? You've have what...since 1985...to have straightened that out, but I still cant reliably copy and paste pictures from one program to another or send pictures in an e-mail via MS Outlook half the time.

And why in the world does svchost.exe have to take up 100% of the CPU several times aday? This seems to be caused by windows searching for Windows Updates. I end task on it and several services are killed and my xp theme'ing goes back to bland windows 9x drawing. What are you doing linking several services up to one exe? Everybody and their dogs have had this prob, so I know its not just me.

And why in this day and age has HTML still not replaced Word docs? It seems to me that Word docs should be written and composed out of HTML. Sounds like it'd fix a lot of probs to me.

I tried....I realy realy tried to use Vista, but just couldn't...it didn't work, it didn't play movies, adobe Flash stuff from youtube, etc didn't play, I couldn't get VB6 to run (so much for that "It just works" stand), it takes an hour to copy a file. I mean it was a total waste and completely unusable. About the only thing I could do is check email and watch my screen saver.

So far, I've only seen one thing I like about Vista over XP. I click on a file to rename it and it selects only the name of the file, and does not include the file extension in the selection. I love that. Can you possibly use Windows Update to add that to my XP?

I'm sure it sucks to hear such terrible feedback after you've worked so hard and long on something, but its all true and I hope you take the critisim constructively. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm gonna do the day that my XP dies and can not longer be installed and activated. (By the way...what is your stand on that...will you ever stop allowing XP to activate?) I guess at that point I'll be turning off my computer and going back to pen and paper, because at this point, I'm not satisfied with the user-unfriendlyness of all the linux os's out there. Or maybe I'll give Mac a try and see what its like.
    Monday, July 28, 2008 8:59 PM

All replies

• Mikey

It doesn't do much good to post your thoughts where nobody but other users will read them?

If you want to say this to Microsoft, you can use the Feedback Form on the following website.

Windows Vista Product Feedback, speak to us at Microsoft:
    https://feedback.windowsvista.microsoft.com/default.aspx?productkey=winvista&mkt=en-us&backurl=http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_vista_master

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm gonna do the day that my XP dies and can not longer be installed and activated. (By the way...what is your stand on that...will you ever stop allowing XP to activate?) I guess at that point I'll be turning off my computer and going back to pen and paper, because at this point, I'm not satisfied with the user-unfriendlyness of all the linux os's out there. Or maybe I'll give Mac a try and see what its like.

The license for any version of Windows is perpetual, it will never expire. You will be able to active it as long as you wish. Support for any version of Windows may end, but this does not stop anyone with a legitimate copy from activating. You may have problems, in the distant future, if you try to install XP on a system that contains hardware that doesn't have XP compatible drivers. If, at some point, Microsoft decides to stop providing activation for XP installs, they will provide a component that will remove the activation requirement from that version of Windows. This was first stated by Microsoft when activation was first introduced.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Monday, July 28, 2008 10:46 PM
  • I've read this one a few times, thought about it a bit, and have some thoughts/responses to throw in.
    Here goes (sorry if the post is long...):

Why is it I can still be typing along and suddenly I'm pressing yes to some important question? Or typing my password into a live messenger conversation window and sending it to my mother when I was clearly in the middle of typing my password to my exchange login (both Microsoft programs)?
    I've had XP do the same thing.  However, a quick Google search for "prevent applications from stealing focus" will yield a simple fix.
    And why is Vista so slow?
     Got hardware specs?  FWIW, Vista Ultimate runs quite well on my 'designed for Vista' (but, not  shipped with Vista) HP dv6105 (AMD Turion64 MK-36 (2GHz single-core), upgraded to 2GB RAM.)  I've built systems for customers based off of Celeron E1200s that will just spank this thing, too.
    And why can't I use 32bit drivers on Vista 64?
    Because it's a 64-bit OS; therefore, it requires 64-bit drivers.  It's not an MS thing, it's an architecture thing.
    And why is my perfectly good scanner and printer driver not not installing? I thought the Windows Driver Model was about making one driver work on all version of windows?   ....   And why are you claiming that vista is the best yet and that you support all the commonly used hardware when you don't?
    It is.  However, it's still up to your hardware vendor to actually write the drivers.  MS just publishes them (via either WU, or on the installation media.)  HP, perhaps?
    And why are a bunch of services running that make no sense to me as to what they are for?
     XP had that 'problem', too.  In any event, a Google search of the service name will tell you exactly what it does.
    And why do you feel the need to change interfaces in MS Office and confuse the world and necessitate the need for every one to go take a class to re-learn how to use Office (I once spent 15 mins looking for something that used to be on the File Menu)
    That there is a question for the Office team, not the Vista team.  Please keep in mind that the various product teams at MS are fairly autonomous.  Office and Vista were created by completely different groups.
    And why with the advent of Windows Update can't you just stick with XP and continue to make it better rather than have to come out with a whole new operating system that looks like it was made by a bunch of gaming teenagers (no offense gamers and teenagers)
    Simple:  progress.  Even Apple releases an entirely new OS from time to time (rather than continuing to enhance the old.)  ***, even Ubuntu releases new versions (that aren't exactly upgradeable from the old), and twice a year, at that.

• Proposed as answer by Johno Muller Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:31 AM
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 12:47 AM
  • And why is it that when I map a drive to a Network path (and tell it to connect as a different user and to remember the user name and password) that every time I reboot and double click on the mapped drive, it asks me for the username and password?

And why is that if I click on a shortcut in my quick launch bar that points to that mapped drive or a document on that mapped drive that it doesn't do anything and I sit there for 5 mins waiting for it open and then I realize that I just booted up and I have to go into My computer, open the mapped drive and give it my user name and password and THEN click on the shortcut in the quick launch bar. Yeah....Windows is doing wonders for my efficiancy and productivity.
    What version of Vista?  The Home versions do not have Cached Credentials (the feature that remembers the username\password.)
    And why cant I drag and drop files from the Windows Explorer to a program thats running with elevated rights?

And why do I have to come inches from having a grande mal seizure every time vista pops up its UAC prompt?  ...  And why is that when I click on a button with shield on it, I get some crazy warning and am asked a question about whether or not I clicked on the button. Can't you tell I clicked on the button?

And why is it when I delete a folder I have to go through 2 or 3 prompts AND a UAC prompt to delete it? Its my computer....not yours.
    UAC is not a new concept - it's been around in serverland for quite some time.  FWIW, most desktop versions of Linux (Ubuntu being both the most common, and the most n00b-friendly) also have a very similar system.  For a really good explanation of UAC (concepts, practices, and history), check out this Wikipedia article
    A couple of points:  first, once you're done with initial setup of a new computer (or, a new OS install; same thing), UAC prompts are quite rare (I can't recall the last time I saw one, aside from when I launch Avast!.  But, that's the vendor's fault, not MS.)  Also, you can either disable UAC (not recommended, but easily done), or tweak it.
    Also, if you haven't yet done so, install service pack 1.  Among a host of other fixes and improvements, UAC was, shall we say, streamlined.  A lot (generally, no more than one prompt for a given action.)
    And why did you make connecting to a wireless network harder and more obscure? It was awesome the way it was in XP.
    No problems here.  Right-click the wireless icon in the system tray > connect to a network.  If the network icons aren't there, turn them on (right-click taskbar > properties > 'notification area' tab.)
    And why does Windows have to c r a p out when I move my old hard drive from the old computer with a VIA chipset to a new computer with a intel chipset? Can you seriously not see that you need to be loading a different set of IDE drivers to avoid the blue screens? (I'm quoting a Technet/support article here, so dont fault me if I'm incorrect on the cause of the blue screen). I thought this was an age of plug and play? But nooo....I have to reinstall windows just to get it working again.
    It's not just the storage drivers.  The Hardware Abstraction Layer (the component that allows the kernel to talk to the underlying hardware) is created during the initial install, and doesn't tranfer well (if at all) to a different platform.  XP also had that 'problem.'  If it's any consolation, the Vista team did improve Sysprep a great deal - you can now create a base install, sysprep it, and install that image on any hardware platform (the HAL is generated anew on first boot.)  With XP, a builder needed to create a new image for each hardware platform that he wanted to install on.
    And Why does MS Outlook insist on putting its database/pst file in some crazy hidden hard to find location where it likely wont get backed up (in the case of a user that backs up only their My Docs)?
    In that case, I'll invite you to try out Thunderbird for a mail client.  However, you'll also find that it, too, stores its files in a "crazy hidden hard to find location" within your user profile. 
    And why in the world does svchost.exe have to take up 100% of the CPU several times aday?
    Many things (sometimes, not even the OS itself) can (and will) call svchost.exe - it's not necessarily WU that's doing it. 
    And why in this day and age has HTML still not replaced Word docs? It seems to me that Word docs should be written and composed out of HTML. Sounds like it'd fix a lot of probs to me.
    What particular flavor of HTML did you have in mind?  Smile
    XML (the underlying formatting of, say, a .docx file), however, is lightweight, easily edited, and is also an open format.
    And why are there like 4 or 5 different versions of .Net? Is it that bad? And why are there like 4 or 5 different versions of .Net? Is it that bad
    No, each version replaces the previous version.  .NET 3.5 runtime will handle any app that requires, say, ,NET 1.0.

As for your problems with VB6, have you read this MSDN article?  It talks about Vista support, as well as limitations under Vista x64 (remember:  VB6 is a 32-bit app, and therefore must be run in the WoW emulation layer.)

I hope that this answers most of your questions,

• Proposed as answer by Johno Muller Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:31 AM
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 2:53 AM
  • This message is for Ronnie Vernon. I find it interesting that you blast the original post for creating a post that MSFT will never see, yet you a MVP is the first to respond. I also find it interesting, that Chris - not you - answered a great deal of his questions. Why did you not every try to at least answer one of his questions? Is it perhaps that you do not know the answer to any of the questions, or perhaps you chose not to answer them? In any event, both are sad cases. Furthermore, your response was mostly negative and provided no useful relative content. Lastly, if I were a MSFT Exec I would be embarrassed that you represent MSFT is such a negative and useless fashion.

Sunday, August 3, 2008 4:12 PM
  • John

I did answer one of his questions, about licensing.

This was not a support question, it was a general rant and long list of things the OP does not like about Vista. It did not include much information about any issues he is actually experiencing.

Chris did a good job of trying to explain most of the issues that were mentioned, but it's very doubtful that he will get a coherent response.

I also gave the OP a link where he can post his thoughts directly to the folks who are resposible for creating Vista and where his feedback would do the most good.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 6:47 PM
  • Ronnie:

I looked back at the orginal post, and you are right - you did answer the question about licensing. So, sorry for accusing you not for answering any of the questions. I understand that the OP was on a rant and *some* of it could be related to user error, but I think many of us can identify with the OP and some may think that you were trying to blow him off, thus my recent post. Perhaps this is an image problem MSFT has?  I think if you would have just taken a more active role in helping him to solve the problem, or just asked him so probing questions to get the root issue you might find this person to be very receptable to MSFT. Just something to consider.

Monday, August 4, 2008 2:44 AM