DPM agent workgroup protection returns access denied RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

So I'm having this error while trying to attach a server on an untrusted domain:

Attach protected computer ServerName.FQDN-PN.local failed:
    Error 32680: The credentials specified for server ServerName.FQDN-PN.local are invalid.
    Error details: Access is denied (0x80070005)
    Recommended action: Rerun the operation with the same credentials that were provided when running SetDpmServer for the target server.

DPM doesn't even thinks that much, it's a pretty quick failure pop-up.

I've tried to configure dpm agent on the untrusted server using both FQDN and NetBios only, 

SetDpmServer.exe -dpmservername ServerName.FQDN.local -isnondomainserver -username dpmusr
    -productionserverdnssuffix FQDN-PN.local

SetDpmServer.exe -dpmservername srvdpmlx -isnondomainserver -username dpmusrfsmeta4

But both return the same error.

The DPM server is on the domain ServerName.FQDN.local and the untrusted computer is on the domain FQDN-PN.local. Both domains are unrelated, but are contactable with each other by network conectivity.

I found this thread (DPM 2010 - Backup domain controller of untrusted forest...), but somehow I didn't relate much to it.

I'm sure I'm providing the correct credentials.

I did have to install C++ 2008 runtime on the server, but I used the version on the dpm agent folder (AC not RA); Not sure if problematic. The system is running a server 2008 SP1 64bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to ask questions if I happened to left something unclear.

• Edited by evolvtyon Friday, July 26, 2013 4:46 PM server architecture
    Friday, July 26, 2013 4:44 PM

Answers

• Hello again,

This is probably a new bug introduced in the latest roll up (That's Roll up 3 for DPM 2012 SP1)

The agent I had installed was of a version prior to the version the DPM server was running (Version of Roll Up 2 - 4.1.3313), and because of that, the described above would happen. I just updated the agent to the latest version on the unprotected computer (that's version 4.1.3415), and the attachment wen't flawlessly with the NetBios version of the command.

If I wasn't as civilized as I am, I would begin advising Microsoft to ease on the pressure on it's engineers...

Moving on to test if I will actually be able to back up anything.

• Marked as answer by evolvtyon Friday, July 26, 2013 5:35 PM
    Friday, July 26, 2013 5:34 PM

All replies

• Hello again,

This is probably a new bug introduced in the latest roll up (That's Roll up 3 for DPM 2012 SP1)

The agent I had installed was of a version prior to the version the DPM server was running (Version of Roll Up 2 - 4.1.3313), and because of that, the described above would happen. I just updated the agent to the latest version on the unprotected computer (that's version 4.1.3415), and the attachment wen't flawlessly with the NetBios version of the command.

If I wasn't as civilized as I am, I would begin advising Microsoft to ease on the pressure on it's engineers...

Moving on to test if I will actually be able to back up anything.

• Marked as answer by evolvtyon Friday, July 26, 2013 5:35 PM
    Friday, July 26, 2013 5:34 PM
  •                        

Evolvtyon,

Can you please let me know what the OS version and both servers are and the exact DPM version you are using.  Thank you

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 11:33 PM