none
Replacing a DC whilst using the same IP's

Question

• Hi,

I'm replacing all Server 2012 R2 domain controllers in my environment with Server 2016. For each domain controller in the existing environment I'm going to create a new 2016 server, add directory services to it (promote), move across FSMO roles etc to it (if there are any), then demote the server 2012R2 domain controller.

I then want to change the IP of the new 2016 DC to the IP used by the 2012R2 server.

Are there any special considerations I need to take into a account when changing a 2016 DC's IP addresses?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 5:03 PM

All replies

• Hi

Your scenario seems to OK,just run "ipconfig /flushdns" then "ipconfig /registerdns" after change ip of DC.also check from dns records for update correctly.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 6:12 PM
  • Thanks Burak
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 9:29 PM
  • Hi,
    In addition, after you demote windows server 2012R2 dc, you could also do metadata cleanup for the old DC: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907(v=ws.10).aspx
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:24 AM
  • Hi,
    In addition, after you demote windows server 2012R2 dc, you could also do metadata cleanup for the old DC: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907(v=ws.10).aspx
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Hi

Additional info; If a Domain Controller forcefully demote then you should perform metadata cleanup,but if you gracefully demote no need to perform metadata cleanup.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Thursday, April 6, 2017 10:14 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Monday, April 10, 2017 1:52 PM