Unable to get Past Windows startup screen on Adding RAM RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Gateway GT5435E
    Running MS Vista HP (32bit)
    Have upgraded ALL Bios and Drivers and files.
    it comes with 2 1GB RAM, Upgraded to 4 1GB Ram.  System locks-up on the horizontal Scrolling color bar.
    Have tried new memory in Mem Banks 0 and Bank 1 by itself and together. Only locks-up when both banks are used.  My sister has the Same make and model computer.  I tried her Memory with my original memory, still locks-up when using both banks.  Gateway replaced the motherboard.  Retryed the memory, still locked up.  Tryed Win XP Pro, system booted up.  Tried the Memory scanner, let it scan 9x, it reported Memory good.  BIOS sees the 4GB.
    Gateway says it can't help "
    we do
    not have the information available to answer this question.  Gateway 
    technical support is here to help troubleshoot original hardware
    technical issues and to determine if the original software is faulty or

corrupted. We can also arrange for warranty repair service if
    required.
    However, we do not have the information available to answer software
    usage questions or work with third party software or hardware
    compatibility issues."

Any Ideas?
    Thanks

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 8:19 PM

Answers

• Even though it'll start in safe mode fine, and the timings are the same for both the new & old RAM, I'd still suggest manually setting the timings (rather than letting the BIOS try to do so in Auto.)

Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:26 PM

All replies

• My initial guess is that, with 4GB RAM, you're running into an issue where automatic RAM timings and/or voltages don't quite work right.
    Does Gateway give you the ability to manually set the RAM timings and/or voltages in the BIOS?  If so, grab the spec sheet from your RAM manufacturer (it would also help if you can find the proper timing & voltage specs for the OE RAM), and manually set the RAM timings to the slower of the two specs.

Also give this a try:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:23 AM
  • Thanks for responding.  I'll have to check the BIOS but I believe timing can be changed, However the specs for the OE Ram are the same.  I tried the support link and the Update say's that it doesn't apply to my system.  I've been repairing and upgrading computers for 20 yrs. I'm good on Hardware repair, so-so on Software. 

Funny thing, after I posted to this forum Gateway e-mailed me asking me to contact Microsoft about the issue, and wanted me to let Them (Gateway) know what Microsoft says.

Thanks to all for ideas, Keep them coming, hopefully I'll have this computer working with 4GB and Vista soon.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 5:23 AM
  • I am able to See the 4GB in Bios and the system WILL load and See the 4GB in Safe Mode.  Also did a System Restore and it freezes on install.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 6:00 AM
  • Even though it'll start in safe mode fine, and the timings are the same for both the new & old RAM, I'd still suggest manually setting the timings (rather than letting the BIOS try to do so in Auto.)

Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:26 PM
  • Thanks, I set the BIOS to the Slowest timing and it Works.  I'm now going to up the timing and where it stops at.
    If I could I'd buy you a Cup of Coffee or a Beer or a Gallon of Gas.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 7:11 PM