none
Internet Explorer 8 prompting for upgrade when opening browser RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

Currently, I'm using Windows 7 Pro with IE 8. I cannot upgrade to 9 now for various reasons.

When I open IE 8 after rebooting my PC, IE will always add a tab that points to a website (http://windows.microsoft.com/ja-JP/internet-explorer/products/ie-8/welcome) prompting me to upgrade to IE 9. I don't want to upgrade to IE 9, and I don't want this tab to appear when I start up IE.

I enabled the Disable Periodic Check of Internet Explorer Software Updates (located in computer config/admin templates/windows components/internet explorer) setting in my local group policy but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Seeing as that the description for this group policy settings says, "prevents internet explorer from checking whether a new version of the browser is available," I think that the fact that the policy doesn't do as it advertises is very strange.

Anybody know what is wrong? Is there any way to do what I want to do?

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

see http://blogs.windows.com/ie/b/ie/archive/2011/12/15/ie-to-start-automatic-upgrades-across-windows-xp-windows-vista-and-windows-7.aspx

there should be no reasons why you cannot or should not upgrade to IE9... IE8 to 10 have compatibility view that enables you to emulate previous IE versions with the latest release, so there should be no backward compatibility issues...

Commonly we hear that IE9 and 10 users and customers cannot use those versions BECAUSE a website they use (their bank or a government department) REQURIES IE8 to work properly.....

THIS IS INCORRECT... often websites have been programmed incorrectly (damn those coders) and are giving an incorrect message....

Please tell us (with website addresses and error message details) about the sites you are having problems with or which say that they require you to use IE8.

we can pass the information along to MSFT (we do not work for nor represent MS) and they will contact the websites to get the problem fixed....

the security benefits of the IE9/10 upgrade could save your company $big

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:42 AM
  • I sincerely and graciously thank you for your reply, but you didn't address my question at all.

There are no websites that that I use that claim that I must use IE 8 in order to function properly. From what I've read and from my own personal experience IE 9 is a vastly superior browser to IE 8 in nearly every possible way, so I understand where you are coming from. However, for reasons that I do not want to get into, I can't/won't/??? upgrade to IE 8 (at least for this particular browser on this particular PC).

So how do I get rid of the Upgrade to IE 9 tab that keeps appearing whenever I start up IE 8 after rebooting the PC? I don't want anybody using the PC to see the tab and think that they are "doing me a favor" and upgrade to IE 9 without my knowledge.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:22 AM
  • Hi,

Internet Explorer 8 Blocker Toolkit will block the installation of the next (not latest) version of Internet Explorer. Please check out:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14149

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 28, 2013 8:40 AM