Enable 'Users' to install USB Drivers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

Two days, two issues, joy...

We have a group of computers that allow users to plug in USB Devices (data sticks) and it installs the drivers without prompting them for administrator credentials.

However, on 4 of these 20 machines it prompts the user to enter administrator credentials and we can't figure out why.

We've checked Local Policies, Group Policies, USBStor.ini file, groups the users are in, groups the computers are in, we can't find anything that is different between a machine it works on and a machine it doesnt.

We thought that it might be down to luck with the drivers being part of Windows but we tried one of our USB sticks in a problem machine and got prompted for credentials, same stick in the other machines and it just installed the USB Drivers without issue.

OS: Windows XP (moving to Windows 7 shortly but still need to get this sorted)

Any further information you need let me know.

Cheers,

Andy

Monday, March 19, 2012 9:12 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately I had to get the PCs back for insepction, reimaged them with our latest build and they now work fine so none the wiser as to the actual cause :(.

Thanks for your help anyway guys :)

Andy

Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:27 AM

All replies

• You can try applying the default security template on these systems.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Checked both local and domain policies and they are all the same on the machines it works on and the machines it doesn't work on.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:59 AM
  • Run RSOP.msc on a faulting PC to check whether it's getting the settings you expect. Run a GPupdate /force to check the policy is being enforced correctly.

If neither of those work capture the fault with procmon (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645) and post the results back up here

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:41 PM
  • Unfortunately I had to get the PCs back for insepction, reimaged them with our latest build and they now work fine so none the wiser as to the actual cause :(.

Thanks for your help anyway guys :)

Andy

Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:27 AM