Stop requests to save normal.dot in MS Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I close out a document in MS Word 2010 I get an error message stating "This file is in use by another applicatoin or user. (C:\Users.....\Normal.dotm)". Then it asks me to save a new template version of Normal.dotm. How can I stop this from happening?

Jim

Friday, September 2, 2011 12:15 PM

Answers

• Go to File - Options - Advanced - search for Save section on the right side and then uncheck Prompt before saving Normal template.
    Friday, September 2, 2011 12:26 PM

All replies

• Go to File - Options - Advanced - search for Save section on the right side and then uncheck Prompt before saving Normal template.
    Friday, September 2, 2011 12:26 PM
  • The box is NOT selected on my WORD Options and I still get the same error saying it can not save the normal.dot file because it is used by another application or user.  

Friday, July 27, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Go to File - Options - Add-Ins, in the COM Add-ins uncheck the Send to Bluetooth 

• Proposed as answer by Taylor..M Thursday, July 4, 2013 9:19 PM
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Awesome! Been looking all over for a real solution.  Thanks!

Thursday, July 25, 2013 9:13 PM
  • It worked!

Amazing!

Happy with your post!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:05 AM
  • FAAAABULOUS.    At LAST an answer that works.

This problem has been bugging me for ages and ages.

I looked up every forum I could find and got all sorts of stupid answers - none of them worked.

I unloaded the whole of Office-2010 and reloaded it.   Had no effect on the problem.

I deleted Normal.dotm         Problem persisted.

This time, I had a look at the add-ins in Word.   Found all sorts of stupid things that I NEVER use.

Deleted ALL of them.     Problem fixed.           THANKS  !!!!!!!

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7:20 AM

before six months I found the solution but i could say as i do same for excel 

very very thank

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 4:11 PM
  • Thanks sir this worked for me.

ASJoshan

• Proposed as answer by AjaibJoshan Tuesday, September 5, 2017 7:13 PM
    Tuesday, September 5, 2017 7:13 PM