user input interface for sql server RRS feed

• Question

• What are some common ways/tools to use to develop a user input interface against a sql server db? I would like to avoid a full web development because I have no experience in that. Would excel or access be a sensible tool to consider? I am basically trying to give my users an input mechanism for certain data entry. Right now, what I do is I take a formatted data file and do the load myself, but it would be better to have the users upload data as needed via some input interface they can type the data into.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:10 PM

Answers

• You can use Microsoft Access, or Visual Studio Lightswitch, which is intended for simple UI's doesn't require building a "full" web application.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Wednesday, January 1, 2014 9:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Monday, January 6, 2014 9:49 AM
    Wednesday, January 1, 2014 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

How about SSRS - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159106.aspx

sathya - www.allaboutmssql.com ** Mark as answered if my post solved your problem and Vote as helpful if my post was useful **.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:18 PM
  • What are some common ways/tools to use to develop a user input interface against a sql server db? I would like to avoid a full web development because I have no experience in that. Would excel or access be a sensible tool to consider? I am basically trying to give my users an input mechanism for certain data entry. Right now, what I do is I take a formatted data file and do the load myself, but it would be better to have the users upload data as needed via some input interface they can type the data into.

What kind of data it is going to be? Raw data? If they can use SSMS then they can "Right Click" > "Edit Top 200 Rows" and insert data directly into table.

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter
    Author: SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn - Paperback, Kindle

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 1:45 AM

What kind of data it is going to be? Raw data? If they can use SSMS then they can "Right Click" > "Edit Top 200 Rows" and insert data directly into table.

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker

Balmukud,

This does not always work sometimes after editing when you click on save you get error message that cannot save and you actually have to do this using Query.

Hello Lover Boy

For inserting data did you try SSIS feature of SQL server.I think its best tool for data movement.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 5:00 AM
  • Balmukud,

This does not always work sometimes after editing when you click on save you get error message that cannot save and you actually have to do this using Query.

I have not used UI much to insert data into table but I would be interested to know the scenario when data insertion from UI failed but T-SQL insert worked.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 5:27 AM
  • Hello Lover Boy

For inserting data did you try SSIS feature of SQL server.I think its best tool for data movement.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

I know how to use SSIS... in fact, that's what I do now. I have the users drop off some formatted file and I have a job that loads the data in the file.

What I want to explore are ways I can give the users an interface that they can input the data. Someone mentioned using Mgmt Studio. I know what that is, but that's not what I'm looking for. To use an example, I'm looking for something with more data controls, like, have a use choose a person from a list and update the person's phone number.... basically some kind of a UI but I don't have the web development skills. So what are some alternatives. Can you do stuff like this using MS Access or Excel?

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 7:59 PM
  • You can use Microsoft Access, or Visual Studio Lightswitch, which is intended for simple UI's doesn't require building a "full" web application.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Wednesday, January 1, 2014 9:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Monday, January 6, 2014 9:49 AM
    Wednesday, January 1, 2014 8:38 PM
  • Take a look at this new article which will explain how easily you can create a new Entity Framework application

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22208.mvc5-demo-with-entity-framework-6-on-visual-studio-2013.aspx

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 10:26 PM