Current script must identify the user who ran it RRS feed

• Question

• I am fairly new at Powershell and want to be able to find out who ran the script

this is my code so far

param(
        [Parameter(Mandatory=$true)]$csvfile
    )

Import-Module activedirectory

$users = Import-Csv -Path $csvfile

foreach ($User in $users)
    {  $Displayname = $User.lastname + "," + $User.Firstname
       $GivenName = $User.Firstname
       $Sn = $User.Lastname
       $Name = "$($User.Lastname), $($User.Firstname)"
       $SamAccountName = "$($User.Firstname).$($User.Lastname)"
       $UserPrincipalName = $UserPrincipalName = $User.Firstname + "." + $User.Lastname + "@test.ruh.local" 
       $ProfilePath = $User.OU 
       $Description = $User.Description
       $password = $User.Password1

#creates new users
       New-ADUser -DisplayName $Name -givenname "$GivenName" -Surname "$SN" -Name "$Name" -SamAccountName "$SamAccountName" -UserPrincipalName "$UserPrincipalName" -ProfilePath "$ProfilePath" -Description "$Description" -Enabled $False
       Add-ADGroupMember -identity Guests -Members $SamAccountName #adds the groups
       Add-ADGroupMember -identity Users -Members $SamAccountName

Write-Output "$(Get-Date) $SamAccountName" | Out-file C:\temp\test25.txt -append

I would ideally like to add it to the current out-file 

please could someone advise how I do this 

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 11:28 AM

Answers

• You'll need to add a Try/Catch block around the code that might generate an error.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.core/about/about_try_catch_finally?view=powershell-6

• Marked as answer by Jon Gomes Thursday, April 11, 2019 8:09 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2019 1:43 PM

All replies

• write-output "Script being executed by $env:username"

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 12:22 PM
  • thankyou for you help on that.

I have another question, the script also need show which accounts have not been created because the same username has been used. it needs to give me an error message saying which account hasn't been created

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 1:38 PM
  • thankyou for you help on that.

I have another question, the script also need show which accounts have not been created because the same username has been used. it needs to give me an error message saying which account hasn't been created

This is not  free script modifying forum.  Please contact a consultant to help you with modifying a script you have found.

Please carefully review the following links to set your expectation for posting in  technical forums.

This Forum is for   Scripting   Questions Rather than script requests

How to ask   questions in a technical forum

Forum for Script   requests

Microsoft   Script Gallery

Microsoft Virtual     Academy - Getting Started with Microsoft PowerShell

PowerShell Documentation

PowerShell Style   Guidelines

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 1:42 PM
  • You'll need to add a Try/Catch block around the code that might generate an error.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.core/about/about_try_catch_finally?view=powershell-6

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 1:43 PM
  • thankyou 
    • Unmarked as answer by jrv Thursday, April 11, 2019 8:10 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2019 1:47 PM
  • Hi,
    Was your issue resolved? 
    If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best Regards,
    Lee

Just do it.

• Unmarked as answer by jrv Thursday, April 11, 2019 8:10 AM
    Thursday, April 11, 2019 3:04 AM