none
Outlook 2007 - Transparent Menu's

Question

• I have a user that all of a sudden has transparent menu's. I have searched everywhere and none of the suggestions help. If you click the down arrow next to new all you see is a transparent block. This happens on any login. Reinstalling Office does not help. This only happens in outlook. All other office apps work fine. See attached JPG for example. How do I get the regular menu back?
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 5:09 PM

Answers

• After troubleshooting on the desktop computer which developed the problem again. I found that the problem was being caused by a third party app that we use called Egnyte Drive. I had installed a newer version of the software on these computers than what we normally deploy. The software should not mess with Outlook but apparently it does. As soon as I uninstalled it and rebooted the menu's went back to normal. I installed the older version of the software and the menu's were fine.
    • Marked as answer by WretchedSon Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:31 PM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:31 PM

All replies

• Locate outcmd.dat and rename it to .old when Outlook is closed. This will reset all Toolbar customizations.
    By default, the file is located here;
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook\

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:40 PM
  • Hi,

Does it happen to all menus (File, View, Tool, etc.) in Outlook 2007?

Does this issue continue if we try to start Outlook in safe mode (outlook /safe)?

We may also try running a repair of your Office installation and then see if this issue continue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/924614/how-to-use-the-repair-process-in-the-2007-office-programs

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:31 AM
  • I had tried this on another computer that had the same issue and it did not help. I tried it again on the existing computer with the same result.
    Friday, March 17, 2017 3:45 PM
  • This happens in all file menu's for everyone that logs into the computer.

Safe mode does not make a difference

Repairing or reinstalling office does not help

Friday, March 17, 2017 3:47 PM
  • This happens in all file menu's for everyone that logs into the computer.

Safe mode does not make a difference

Repairing or reinstalling office does not help

Thank you for the update. It looks like the issue only happens on certain computers. Do you have any anti-virus program installed on the computers? If so, I'd recommend you check whether there is any file (such as .dll file) been blocked recently. If any, try to verify that whether the file is harmful, if not, we may try to allow the file's use and then see if this issue continue. See a similar issue here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_other/menu-transparency-problem-outlook-2007/ee99f69e-ee44-e011-90b6-1cc1de79d2e2

If possible, we may also consider to restore the computer to a previous restore point and then see if this issue continues.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 2:21 AM
  • So I reimaged the users co0mputer on Friday and everything was working fine. This morning the user came over and said that the problem returned. I asked the user if she had done anything in Outlook with the task bar she said no but she said the problem happened when she sorted by date. I had her resort but that did not help. This is really odd.
    Monday, March 20, 2017 4:07 PM
  • Well, really odd... Did the user install any update for his Outlook after computer reimaged?

>>but she said the problem happened when she sorted by date.

What if we try resetting Outlook view via the /cleanviews command? To do this, exit Outlook, press Windows key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /cleanviews and press Enter.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:42 AM
  • I tried the cleanviews and the safe switches, neither have made a difference.
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:01 PM
  • Have you tried performing a Windows clean boot to troubleshoot the issue? For your convenience:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Regards,

Steve Fan

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:41 AM
  • Tried a clean boot this morning it did not make a difference the menu's were still transparent in Outlook.
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 4:00 PM
  • So the one other machine that has had this problem is now having the problem again. It was working fine after I reimaged it a month ago. This is a desk top while the machine I am working on is a laptop. I tried updating the video driver on the laptop but that did not help. Just something to try since nothing else is helping
    • Edited by WretchedSon Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:26 PM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:25 PM
  • After troubleshooting on the desktop computer which developed the problem again. I found that the problem was being caused by a third party app that we use called Egnyte Drive. I had installed a newer version of the software on these computers than what we normally deploy. The software should not mess with Outlook but apparently it does. As soon as I uninstalled it and rebooted the menu's went back to normal. I installed the older version of the software and the menu's were fine.
    • Marked as answer by WretchedSon Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:31 PM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:31 PM
  • Great! Glad to hear that you have found the root cause. Thank you for letting us know that and sharing the solution here.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:31 AM