System Maintenance Tasks deletes all "broken shortcuts" that are actually not broken RRS feed

• Question

• On Windows 7 Enterprise, the "Run maintenance tasks" action deletes Desktop shortcuts to files or folders on a mapped network drive. The shortcuts are not broken.

I can replicate this time and time again. I navigate to the mapped drive (S:), then I click on several folders and files and choose "Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut)". I now verify that the desktop shortcuts work. They work fine.

Then, I will go to the Control Panel -> Troubleshooting, and choose "Run maintenance tasks". Every time this is run, it deletes the shortcuts, and provides me with a message stating that the broken shortcuts were deleted (fixed).

I've already tried adding the following registry keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ScheduledDiagnostics]
    "IsBrokenShortcutsTSEnabled"=dword:00000000
    "IsUnusedDesktopIconsTSEnabled"=dword:00000000

Can anyone provide a solution to this?

• Edited by JimBo Bo Monday, February 17, 2014 7:54 PM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 7:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The cause may be System Maintenance troubleshooter. The System Maintenance troubleshooter either fixes problems automatically or reports problems through Action Center. When there are more than four broken shortcuts on the desktop, the System Maintenance troubleshooter automatically removes all broken shortcuts from the desktop.

The issue can also be caused by some scheduled tasks that helps you to clear the shortcuts. Desktop Cleanup Utility is not present in Windows 7. It can be caused by some third party programs. Please specially pay attention to any system optimizing programs.

Meanwhile, I would like to suggest you try the following to check the issue:

1. Reset icon cache

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2396571/en-us

2. Test in a new user account. If it works, please refer to Fix a corrupted user profile.

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

In addition, you may use one of the following methods to work around this issue.

1. Remove all but 4 broken shortcuts from your desktop
    Keep the number of broken shortcuts on your desktop to four or less. You might accomplish this by removing all but 4 of your most used shortcuts on the Desktop. If have more than 4 shortcuts, you can also create a folder on your desktop and move the shortcuts to that folder. These shortcuts will not be removed since they don't sit directly on the desktop.

2. Disable the System Maintenance troubleshooter
    If you must have more than four broken shortcuts on your desktop, you can disable the System Maintenance troubleshooter.

Note: If you disable the System Maintenance troubleshooter, all the maintenance tasks that it performs are disabled. Therefore, we recommend that you use Method 1.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:52 PM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:59 AM

All replies

• See if the following thread helps:

Working shortcuts being treated as 'Broken Shortcuts' and getting deleted

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 12:54 AM
  • Hi,

The cause may be System Maintenance troubleshooter. The System Maintenance troubleshooter either fixes problems automatically or reports problems through Action Center. When there are more than four broken shortcuts on the desktop, the System Maintenance troubleshooter automatically removes all broken shortcuts from the desktop.

The issue can also be caused by some scheduled tasks that helps you to clear the shortcuts. Desktop Cleanup Utility is not present in Windows 7. It can be caused by some third party programs. Please specially pay attention to any system optimizing programs.

Meanwhile, I would like to suggest you try the following to check the issue:

1. Reset icon cache

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2396571/en-us

2. Test in a new user account. If it works, please refer to Fix a corrupted user profile.

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

In addition, you may use one of the following methods to work around this issue.

1. Remove all but 4 broken shortcuts from your desktop
    Keep the number of broken shortcuts on your desktop to four or less. You might accomplish this by removing all but 4 of your most used shortcuts on the Desktop. If have more than 4 shortcuts, you can also create a folder on your desktop and move the shortcuts to that folder. These shortcuts will not be removed since they don't sit directly on the desktop.

2. Disable the System Maintenance troubleshooter
    If you must have more than four broken shortcuts on your desktop, you can disable the System Maintenance troubleshooter.

Note: If you disable the System Maintenance troubleshooter, all the maintenance tasks that it performs are disabled. Therefore, we recommend that you use Method 1.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:52 PM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:59 AM