Method for mapping a disk unit with some ftp accounts RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning,

I was wondering how could I manage for using installshield in order to give an easy to configure installer to our customers in order for them to be able to map theys explicit ftps accounts to disk drives, and later this config to stay across reboots. Does this feature exist in Windows workstation?. Which requirements are meet for that workstations?. Which is the windows command for doing that?.

Best regards,

Sunday, October 6, 2013 11:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

FtpUse is a command-line application which can map an ftp server as local drive on your Windows.  All you need to do is run a couple of commands and you are done. If you want it to do automatically on every Windows logon then you can make a batch file of these commands and place it in the Startup folder. Otherwise you can just save the commands on a simple text file and copy-paste them in the command-line whenever you want to map the ftp server.

The syntax of using this application is given below.

FTPUSE devicename [ftphostname[/remotepath] [password]]
     [/USER:username]
     [/NOPASSIVE]
     [/OWNERACCESSONLY]
     [/PORT:portnumber]
     [/DEBUG]
     [[/DELETE]]

Here is a little description of the above commands.

devicename: The drive name on your computer where the FTP server will be mounted. It can be something like E: F: G: or Z:.

ftphostname: It’s the name of the host. for example: ftp.microsoft.com or ftp.freehostia.com.

/remotepath: Path of the folder that is to be used as the main folder for the mapped drive.

password: Password of the ftp account.

/USER:username: Replace the username with the username of the FTP account.

/DELETE: Deletes the FTP server connection.

/PORT: TCP port number here. Default: 21.

/NOPASSIVE: Establishes the connection as active mode.

/OWNERACCESSONLY: Only the launcher of application can access the mapped drive.

/DEBUG: Debug mode.

Here is an example which can help you assemble these options:

FTPUSE F: ftp.freehostia.com/folderName passwordHere /USER:usernameHere

This command will map the ftp.freehostia.com/folderName to drive F: (which can be found on My Computer) with the password passwordHere and username being usernameHere. I hope this example will be enough for you to map a remote ftp server as a local disk drive on your Windows.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:51 AM
    Monday, October 7, 2013 8:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

FtpUse is a command-line application which can map an ftp server as local drive on your Windows.  All you need to do is run a couple of commands and you are done. If you want it to do automatically on every Windows logon then you can make a batch file of these commands and place it in the Startup folder. Otherwise you can just save the commands on a simple text file and copy-paste them in the command-line whenever you want to map the ftp server.

The syntax of using this application is given below.

FTPUSE devicename [ftphostname[/remotepath] [password]]
     [/USER:username]
     [/NOPASSIVE]
     [/OWNERACCESSONLY]
     [/PORT:portnumber]
     [/DEBUG]
     [[/DELETE]]

Here is a little description of the above commands.

devicename: The drive name on your computer where the FTP server will be mounted. It can be something like E: F: G: or Z:.

ftphostname: It’s the name of the host. for example: ftp.microsoft.com or ftp.freehostia.com.

/remotepath: Path of the folder that is to be used as the main folder for the mapped drive.

password: Password of the ftp account.

/USER:username: Replace the username with the username of the FTP account.

/DELETE: Deletes the FTP server connection.

/PORT: TCP port number here. Default: 21.

/NOPASSIVE: Establishes the connection as active mode.

/OWNERACCESSONLY: Only the launcher of application can access the mapped drive.

/DEBUG: Debug mode.

Here is an example which can help you assemble these options:

FTPUSE F: ftp.freehostia.com/folderName passwordHere /USER:usernameHere

This command will map the ftp.freehostia.com/folderName to drive F: (which can be found on My Computer) with the password passwordHere and username being usernameHere. I hope this example will be enough for you to map a remote ftp server as a local disk drive on your Windows.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:51 AM
    Monday, October 7, 2013 8:51 AM
  • Good afternoon,

Thank you very much for you're answer. Perhaps I have explained incorrectly. I know how ftpuse works and in fact... have been done... that.... I mean the bat and all... the problem is basically I wanted not to show nothing about that launch at startup because I wanted to simulate as if net unc mapped drives would be.....or unless if the terminal opens.... not to stay in the step : "Proccess completed succesfully" and of course if you hit any key then.... ftpuse gets closed and the drive unmapped.....

In Windows XP got it working calling the bat file from a vbs script... which basically does something like : 

set objshell = createobject("wscript.shell")
    objshell.run "C:\XXXXXXXXXX\egoitz.bat",vbhide

But this same code does not the same in Windows 7... so I needed this self effect in Windows 7 (and 8 and 2012 if could be possible....)....

Any help would be very very hugely appreciated.

Regards,

Friday, October 25, 2013 1:55 PM
  • But ftpuse have one big trouble. This application do not correctly identifies free disk space on ftp server and can't upload file. I have VPS on DigitalOcean and proftpd as ftp server. 2nd day was spent to trying reconfigure proftpd. Zero effect :(

ps. and wasn't find option for ignore free space.
    Sunday, January 8, 2017 12:28 AM