none
Tape Belongs to a DPM server sharing this library RRS feed

• Question

• I have Tape Library Sharing configured and recently upgraded from DPM 2007 SP1 to DPM 2010. I have 4 tapes that have been inserted back into the library, and all DPM servers are reporting that these tapes "Belong to a DPM server sharing this library." It seems that none of my DPM servers own the tapes. I tried using the Force-FreeTape.ps1 script but I get the same "tape belongs to another DPM server" error.

I've tried recataloging the tapes and identifying unknown tapes, but nothing works. I don't care about the data on the tapes - how can I take ownership so they can be used by DPM?

Jeff Graves, ORCS Web, Inc.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Jeff,

try this: http://cid-b03306b628ab886f.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/DPMeraseTape.zip  
    has a user guide included, pls read it.
    Basic use: .\DPMeraseTape.Ps1 -slot n -libkey <string part uniquely identifying library>

Fairly new and with all the usual disclaimers.

You may want to use optional parameter -EraseTimeout (Default = 30 minutes) because e.g. an LTO4 without short erase option could take 90 minutes. If interested use -MyTapeDebug to see what commands and responses go to/from underlying utilities being used to get the job done (controller the library and drive).

Let my know how it goes, pls attach log if you hit failures

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, October 18, 2010 10:19 AM
  • Hi Ruud,

Thank you for the follow-up. Unfortunately, the script failed. Here is a link to the log file:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8156897/DPMeraseTape/DPMeraseTape.log

And this is the error:

[10/18/2010 10:39:06 AM] MYTAPE started, enabling processing events...
    [10/18/2010 10:39:13 AM]  The handle is invalid.
    [10/18/2010 10:39:15 AM] Ignoring first invalid handle. this is expected!
    [10/18/2010 10:39:20 AM] Mytape: load tape
    [10/18/2010 10:39:24 AM]
    [10/18/2010 10:39:25 AM] TRAP:  You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression. Event with source identifier 'MyTapeEvent' does not exist. Event with source identifier 'MyTapeEvent' does not exist. Event with source identifier 'MyTapeEvent' does not exist. Event with source identifier 'MyTapeEvent' does not exist. Event with source identifier 'MyTapeEvent' does not exist. Event with source identifier 'MyTapeEvent' does not exist. Event with source identifier 'MyTapeEvent' does not exist. Event with source identifier 'MyTapeEvent' does not exist. Event with source identifier 'MyTapeEvent' does not exist.
    You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.
    At O:\Scripts\DPM\DPMeraseTape\DPMeraseTape.ps1:300 char:59
    +         $shorterase = ($driveinfo -match "short erase")[0].split <<<< (":")[1
    ]
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (split:String) [], RuntimeExce
       ption
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

Get-Event : Event with source identifier 'MyTapeEvent' does not exist.
    At O:\Scripts\DPM\DPMeraseTape\DPMeraseTape.ps1:296 char:22
    +         $events = Get-Event <<<<  -SourceIdentifier MyTapeEvent -ea SilentlyC
    ontinue
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-Event], ArgumentExcept
       ion
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : INVALID_SOURCE_IDENTIFIER,Microsoft.PowerShell.C
       ommands.GetEventCommand

Remove-Event : Event with source identifier 'MyTapeEvent' does not exist.
    At O:\Scripts\DPM\DPMeraseTape\DPMeraseTape.ps1:80 char:15
    +         Remove-Event <<<<  -SourceIdentifier MyTapeEvent -ErrorAction Silentl
    yContinue
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Remove-Event], ArgumentExc
       eption
       ommands.RemoveEventCommand

yContinue
       eption

yContinue
       eption

yContinue
       eption

yContinue
       eption

yContinue
       eption

yContinue
       eption

Get-Event : Event with source identifier 'MyTapeEvent' does not exist.
    At O:\Scripts\DPM\DPMeraseTape\DPMeraseTape.ps1:71 char:31
    +     foreach ($event in (Get-Event <<<<  -SourceIdentifier MyTapeEvent -ea Sil
    entlyContinue)) {
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-Event], ArgumentExcept
       ion
       ommands.GetEventCommand

Monday, October 18, 2010 2:52 PM
  • Also, as an FYI, in my case, the Slot number was +1 (ie. I specified slot #5 and it moved the tape in slot #6).

Monday, October 18, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Hi Rudd,

I manually moved the tapes to the drives and used the MyTape utility to perform an erase, however, DPM still sees the tapes as belonging to another DPM server even though they have been erased using the utility.

Monday, October 18, 2010 9:57 PM
  • Oops, triple trouble....

Will look into script error...

The slot+1 is intentional due to differences between DPM reported slots and utils counting.
    Core question for me is did it move the correct tape (e.g. judged by label) regardless of slot# or actually moved the wrong tape (which is disastrous) ?

Still seeing "belongs to another DPM" after erase strikes me, need to review this with other peoples.

Will get back a.s.a.p but does depend on other business commitments.

Monday, October 18, 2010 10:18 PM
  • Hi Ruud,

Understand about the timelines and appreciate your help. In regards to the slot number,  the tape with the "Belongs to another DPM Server" was in slot #5, and when I specified slot #5 in the script it moved the tape that was in slot #6 which was the wrong tape entirely. When I ran the script with slot #4 specified, it reported it was moving the tape in slot #4, but actually moved the tape in slot #5 (which is the tape I wanted).

Because it was manually erased but is still reporting that it belongs to another server, I tried doing a full detailed inventory hoping it would pick up that the tapes were erased, but no luck. I took a peek at the SQL data to see if there was an easy way to disassociate the tape via the DB, but couldn't find the right table. I suspect that will be the solution.

Monday, October 18, 2010 10:25 PM
  • If the tapes have barcode labels, try placing a new (different) label on the one you are having problems re-using, then do a full inventory and see if you can then reuse the tape.
    Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 11:37 PM
  • Jeff, fixed the slot issue but seeing similar problem, tape does not really get erased despite success, hence.... DPM still.... working on it!

\R2

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Jeff,

I was testing incorrectly, the slot offset issue is fixed and erase does work.
    New version uploaded: http://cid-b03306b628ab886f.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/DPMeraseTape.zip 

After erasing you have to possibly do fast inventory (if error reports not matching...) and certainly "Identify unknown tape" on the erased tape. After that DPM shows tape as "[No tape label. Contains no data]".

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Hi Ruud,

It seems to be moving the right tape now, but I am still getting the null reference error. Here's the log:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8156897/DPMeraseTape.log

Again, I manually moved the tape with mct_x64, then did a short erase with mytape, then moved the tape back with mct_x64 but the tape still says "Belongs to a DPM server sharing this library" after a fast inventory and Identify unknown tape.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:09 AM
  • I figured this out. As I suspected, the issue was a DB setting and not an issue with the actual data on the tape. Turns out the media was associated with an orphaned MediaPoolId. This blog post describes how I fixed it.

http://www.orcsweb.com/blog/jeff/dpm-2010-tape-belongs-to-a-dpm-server-sharing-this-library/

Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:26 PM
  • Jeff,

glad you found it, good show!
    Got the fail log, can remove it.

May I ask if you could post a mytape.exe getdriveinfo?
    It seems mytape does not return the expected at all on your drive[s].

Thx

Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:42 PM
  • Sure, here's the information reported by mytape:

\\.\Tape2147483645>TapeConsole_1.0>getdriveinfo

------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Device Information
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hardware error correction: Enabled
    Hardware data compression: Enabled
    Data padding: Disabled
    Setmark reporting: Disabled
    Device's default fixed block size, in bytes: 65536
    Device's maximum block size, in bytes: 262144
    Device's minimum block size, in bytes: 1
    Maximum number of partitions that can be created on the device: 0
    Number of bytes between the EOT warning and the physical end of the tape: 0

Advanced features:[FLAG VALUE]

Supports hardware data compression: TRUE
    Can report if cleaning is required: TRUE
    Supports hardware error correction: FALSE
    Physically ejects the tape on a software eject: FALSE
    Performs the erase operation from the beginning-of-partition marker only: FALSE
    Performs a long erase operation: TRUE
    Performs an immediate erase operation : TRUE
    Performs a short erase operation: TRUE
    Creates fixed data partitions: FALSE
    Supports fixed-length block mode: TRUE
    Creates initiator-defined partitions: FALSE
    Supports data padding: FALSE
    Provides the current device-specific block address: TRUE
    Provides the current logical block address : TRUE
    Supports setmark reporting: FALSE
    Creates select data partitions: FALSE
    Supports setting the end-of-medium warning size: FALSE
    Must be at the beginning of a partition before it can set compression on: FALSE
    Returns the maximum capacity of the tape: TRUE
    Returns the remaining capacity of the tape: TRUE
    Supports variable-length block mode: TRUE
    Returns an error if the tape is write-enabled or write-protected: TRUE
    Moves the tape to a device-specific block address and returns as the move begins: FALSE
    Moves the tape to a device specific block address: TRUE
    Moves the tape to the end-of-data marker in a partition: TRUE
    Moves the tape forward (or backward) a specified number of filemarks: TRUE
    Enables and disables the device for further operations: TRUE
    Supports immediate load and unload operations: TRUE
    Enables and disables the tape ejection mechanism: TRUE
    Supports immediate lock and unlock operations: FALSE
    Moves the tape to a logical block address in a partition and returns as soon as
    the move begins: FALSE
    Moves the tape to a logical block address in a partition: TRUE
    Moves the tape forward (or backward) a specified number of blocks: TRUE
    Moves the tape backward over blocks, filemarks, or setmarks: TRUE
    Supports immediate rewind operation: TRUE
    Moves the tape forward (or backward) to the first occurrence of a specified number of consecutive setmarks: FALSE
    Supports setting the size of a fixed-length logical block or setting the variable-length block mode: TRUE
    Enables and disables hardware data compression: TRUE
    Enables and disables hardware error correction: FALSE
    Enables and disables data padding: FALSE
    Enables and disables the reporting of setmarks: FALSE
    Moves the tape forward (or reverse) a specified number of setmarks: FALSE
    Supports immediate spacing: FALSE
    Supports tape tensioning: FALSE
    Supports immediate tape tensioning: FALSE
    Writes filemarks: TRUE
    Writes long filemarks: FALSE
    Supports immediate writing of short and long filemarks: TRUE
    Writes setmarks: FALSE
    Writes short filemarks: FALSE

Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:23 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

do you still have the solution handy as the link above doesn't exist any more.

Thanks & Regards,

Abbas

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 4:07 PM