none
Add new server to SharePoint 2013 server farm

Question

• Hello Folks,

I want to add a new server to a SharePoint farm. Please suggest me if it will impact the existing farm in any way.

Currently 6 SharePoint servers are in the farm. 

I have gone through https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc261752.aspx.

But it does not mention whether it will impact the existing farm while adding the new server by using Configuration Wizard or through powershell commands.

Please suggest. I need to do this ASAP.

Regards,

Monday, March 13, 2017 2:15 AM

Answers

• Hello Rahul,

I understand that the addition of the new server is going to benefit the existing farm.

Again want to reiterate my concern

"What will be the impact on the existing farm during the addition of the new server?"

Since it requires executing the SharePoint Configuration wizard so will during that time(For eg: 15 mins., 30 mins., or 1 hour when wizard will add the server to the farm) impact the farm and the applications hosted in the farm. 

I know the passphrase and even if it was missing there is option to set new passphrase which will be used if the known passphrase doesn't work for me.

Regards,

There will be no negative impact (like performance leak or service outage) on your farm: the tasks performed by SharePoint to join the new server to the existing farm will not create any issue for the users, since they'll be executed on the new server.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:00 AM
  • There will be no outage or degraded performance if you are adding a server to the Farm because you will be running Configuration Wizard on the new server and the existing servers will keep functioning according to their service type (WFE and APP).

-Rajan

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 12:59 PM

All replies

• Hi SharePoint Sammy.

The only impact on the existing farm would be a better load balancing as well as high availability of web applications and services, provided to you start all the necessary services on the new server.
    You didn't wrote which role the newly added server will play, so that's a general answer, of course.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Monday, March 13, 2017 10:24 AM
  • Hello Luigi,

I am not asking what benefit I will have after adding the server. My question is

"What will be the impact on the existing farm during the addition of the new server?"

For eg: any outage, performance degradation etc.

Regards,

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:01 AM
  • Hi

There wont be any impact like outage or performance.

It will only benefit to add a new server to your existing server farm.

For adding server you should know the Passphrase key which is a must while adding a server.

Mark it as an answer if it helped you out. Regards Rahul Dagar

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:40 AM
  • Hello Rahul,

I understand that the addition of the new server is going to benefit the existing farm.

Since it requires executing the SharePoint Configuration wizard so will during that time(For eg: 15 mins., 30 mins., or 1 hour when wizard will add the server to the farm) impact the farm and the applications hosted in the farm. 

I know the passphrase and even if it was missing there is option to set new passphrase which will be used if the known passphrase doesn't work for me.

Regards,

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 7:19 AM
  • Hello Rahul,

Regards,

There will be no negative impact (like performance leak or service outage) on your farm: the tasks performed by SharePoint to join the new server to the existing farm will not create any issue for the users, since they'll be executed on the new server.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:00 AM
  • There will be no outage or degraded performance if you are adding a server to the Farm because you will be running Configuration Wizard on the new server and the existing servers will keep functioning according to their service type (WFE and APP).

-Rajan

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 12:59 PM
  • Hello Luigi/Rajan,

Thanks for the confirmation. I added the new servers in the farm without having any impact to the farm.

Regards,

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:31 AM
  • Hello Luigi/Rajan,

Thanks for the confirmation. I added the new servers in the farm without having any impact to the farm.

Regards,

That's good, thanks for the feedback.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:55 AM