none
DPM 2012R2 item level recovery SQL RRS feed

• Question

• From what i understand it's possible to do a ITL recovery when using host level backups in DPM2012R2. When running a Exchange or SQL server you can perform a recovery of a single database instead of the entire VM right? If so, to me it seems the only reason to perform a guest level backup is to safe storage on the DPM server, i.e. backing up a specific folder or resource on the VM. If there's enough storage than you can just create host level backups of all VMs, correct?

Or there any drawbacks to a ITL recovery? I've been reading a few blogs but none are talking about the drawbacks if there are any?

• Edited by Marc-1983 Wednesday, November 30, 2016 8:27 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2016 8:27 AM

Answers

• There are benefits for both. For SQL you can sync databases as frequently as every 15 minutes, this is the equivalent of a transaction log backup in SQL. From there you can also schedule Express Full backups of a database too, equivalent to a Full backup in SQL. Doing a restore of a DB from this type of backup can be done straight into SQL and only requires you to know what point in time you want to return to, DPM figures out what restore operations need to be undertaken to get the database back to that point in time. With DPM it's also possible to use self service recovery for SQL Databses so users can undertake their own restores and not require the DPM Admins to undertake the restore operation. As to Exchange, then I would strongly recommend protecting it with DPM, you can use the standard exchange restore process to put the database in recovery mode and perform standard exchange restore tasks. Rather than attempting to restore Exchange at the VM level which I'm a complex Exchange deployment would not be possible. SharePoint is another example where protection of it at the application level is critical, with sharepoint installed across multiple servers the backup needs to freeze the application while VSS cuts in. This freeze occurs across the servers in the farm. Also item level recovery of sharepoint is enabled this way. DPM ILR only allows you to extract files from protected VMs, the file must be restored to an alternate location too as it can't be directly restored into a running VM. With Hyper-V 2016 Shielded VMs do not support ILR due to their encrypted status, so potentially application level protection maybe the only option there.
    • Marked as answer by Marc-1983 Monday, December 5, 2016 10:27 PM
    Friday, December 2, 2016 8:16 PM

All replies

• There are benefits for both. For SQL you can sync databases as frequently as every 15 minutes, this is the equivalent of a transaction log backup in SQL. From there you can also schedule Express Full backups of a database too, equivalent to a Full backup in SQL. Doing a restore of a DB from this type of backup can be done straight into SQL and only requires you to know what point in time you want to return to, DPM figures out what restore operations need to be undertaken to get the database back to that point in time. With DPM it's also possible to use self service recovery for SQL Databses so users can undertake their own restores and not require the DPM Admins to undertake the restore operation. As to Exchange, then I would strongly recommend protecting it with DPM, you can use the standard exchange restore process to put the database in recovery mode and perform standard exchange restore tasks. Rather than attempting to restore Exchange at the VM level which I'm a complex Exchange deployment would not be possible. SharePoint is another example where protection of it at the application level is critical, with sharepoint installed across multiple servers the backup needs to freeze the application while VSS cuts in. This freeze occurs across the servers in the farm. Also item level recovery of sharepoint is enabled this way. DPM ILR only allows you to extract files from protected VMs, the file must be restored to an alternate location too as it can't be directly restored into a running VM. With Hyper-V 2016 Shielded VMs do not support ILR due to their encrypted status, so potentially application level protection maybe the only option there.
    • Marked as answer by Marc-1983 Monday, December 5, 2016 10:27 PM
    Friday, December 2, 2016 8:16 PM
  • Thank you very much for your detailed answer! It answers all my questions. 
    Monday, December 5, 2016 10:27 PM
  • You're welcome
    Monday, December 5, 2016 10:35 PM