Windows 8.1 Failed capture process (0x80070BC2) RRS feed

• Question

• I am running into a bit of an issue trying to capture my custom windows 8.1 machine.

I am running a standard capture TS and it works on a blank version of windows, but when all the apps are installed it doesn't run correctly. In the past I have just run a windows clean up, emptied appdata and windows temp folder. That normally fixes the issue but it doesn't any more.

what is happening is that it runs thought the TS reboots and just loads back into windows. It does not spend any time on the syprep part of the sequence. It say executing but only for a second or two, so I think the issue may lay round there.

I have looked through the following logs and only found this error.

C:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS\BDD.log - No errors

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\SMSTSLog.log

Executing in non SMS standalone mode. Ignoring send a task execution status message request
    ****************************************************************************
    Execution engine result code: 2 (Success=0, Failure=1, RebootInitiated=2)
    Process completed with exit code 2147945410
    Exiting with return code 0x80070BC2
    ==========[ TsProgressUI started in process 2876 ]==========

Apart from these two logs I have not been able to find any more information. If I run the process for a 2nd time it runs as expected but disables the local admin account so I cant do anything with it. 

Anyone any ideas?

• Edited by OptimAdam Tuesday, September 16, 2014 9:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:47 AM

Answers

• After running the debug command against the LTISysrep.wsf. I would that there was a few pending operation that needed to be complete before I could run the capture process.

I have rebooted the machine a number of times it looks a little healthier.

• Marked as answer by OptimAdam Thursday, September 18, 2014 12:07 PM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:10 PM

All replies

• After running the debug command against the LTISysrep.wsf. I would that there was a few pending operation that needed to be complete before I could run the capture process.

I have rebooted the machine a number of times it looks a little healthier.

• Marked as answer by OptimAdam Thursday, September 18, 2014 12:07 PM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

Are you implying that sysprep is failing? Is it OOBE --> Generalize --> Shutdown? Are you using the local admin account that you created for the first time in that Windows 8.1 machine?

Thanks,

Janaka

Janaka Rangama MCT MIEEE MBCS

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:20 PM
  • There is an issue with Windows 8.1 sysprep. Basically if you are using the local admin account that you defined when you install Windows for the first time to do the sysprep process the sysprep will fail. This is because Windows Metro Apps are linked only to that account not to all account. You can manually remove them. Please see below posts.

http://regularitguy.com/2013/08/05/how-to-fix-sysprep-3-14-error-for-windows-8-1-enterprise/

http://payze.wordpress.com/2013/11/21/windows-8-1-sysprep-preparation-tool-3-14-a-fatal-error-occurred-while-trying-to-sysprep-the-machine/

The easiest way is to create another local admin account or use a domain admin account to initiate the sysprep. This has worked flawlessly for me.

Janaka Rangama MCT MIEEE MBCS (Please take a moment to Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, where applicable.)

• Proposed as answer by Janaka RangamaMVP Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:27 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by OptimAdam Thursday, September 18, 2014 12:07 PM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:26 PM