none
Running Office 2013 Preview and Installing Project Preview RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows 8 Professional and I have installed the Office 2013 Preview (until MS will finally release it so I can actually buy it). I have downloaded the Project Professional Evaluation from the TechNet Evaluation Centre. (All this actually goes for Visio as well, incidentally). I have to provide a project plan for a client tomorrow and I'd really like to do it in Project - if I can get an 'oooh', I'll probably be able to convince them that it's worth getting some proper project management software! Unfortunately, when I launch the setup exe, I get the following message:

//Message Begins//

Microsoft Office 2013 does not support upgrading from a preview version of Microsoft Office 2013. You must first uninstall these preview versions of Microsoft Office 2013 products and associated technologies:

Office 15 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component

Office 15 Click-to-Run Licencing Component.

//Message Ends//

I could uninstall the Office 2013 Preview, but that's going to be a pig as I will want to use both. I could uninstall Office from my laptop which is also running the preview, but I really want to use Project and Visio on my desktop which is more powerful and has decent sized screens.

It looks like there are two incompatible preview programmes from MS. Is there any way I can get a preview of both running on the same PC? I set Project and Visio downloading overnight and thought I could spend Sunday making a whizzy project plan but it looks like I might miss my shot at getting my client to approve some decent software!

I would have bought Office 2013 by now if it were actually available (I own 2010 Professional) but MS haven't released it to buy yet for the subscription models. >:(

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:29 AM

All replies

• As a geneal rule, you should never run Preview software on your (production) laptop.  You can do it and many people do, but the preview is still cooking.  In the future, try running the preview in a VM.

To answer you question.  It's really hard to say, because a lot of moving parts are happening between Office 2010 and 2013 and previews.  The message even says that  it does not support upgrading.

My suggestion, is to remove all the software and just load one version

Cheers! 

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Friday, April 5, 2013 1:39 PM