none
DPM 2016 not purging old recovery points RRS feed

• Question

• I have a protection group with the following settings:

Protection method: "Short-term using disk"

Short-term recovery - 30 days | 24 hour(s) syncronization

I just received a message that the DPM storage pool volume is out of space, and when I went to look at my recovery options, I saw that there are available recovery points going back more than 60 days, all the way back to when I first created the recovery group. So it seems it has kept all of the recovery points up until today when it ran out of disk space. How come I'm able to recover 60+ days back when my short term recovery option is set to 30 days? What do I need to do to free up that disk space? 

Shaun

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that the nightly house cleaning job is not running or the pruneshadowcopies.ps1 script is possibly crashing.

Try running the script manually and see if it completes.

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2016\DPM\DPM\bin> .\pruneshadowcopiesDpm.ps1

You can review the log here to see pruning activity:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2016\DPM\DPM\Temp\PRUNESHADOWCOPYFORDPM0Curr.errlog

If the above works we can investigate if the nightly job is running or not.

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:27 PM
  • Thanks Mike...it was a network connectivity issue. Apparently the DPM server needs to contact a Domain Controller in order to run the pruneshadowcopies job...??

Shaun

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:17 PM