Server 2008 Fax Server Role Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I am testing the Fax Server Role component of Windows Server 2008 and had a couple of questions I was hoping some of you folks could help me with. First, my goal here is to replace a RightFax server that we use in house. We aren't heavy fax users so it seems like the Server 2008 Fax Server role might be a good fit. I am following the instructions at the following link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753416.aspx

1.  Will WIndows XP Pro SP3 clients be able to send faxes through this system? Following the instructions through the Fax Server Role checklist I get presented with this link that makes it sound like it won't.

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/306550

2. I have installed this on a Server 2008 x64 system and cannot seem to get the x86 drivers to load. I get the error message "There is no printer driver for the requested environment at "E:\"."

3. When I attempt to share the printer and list it in the directory, the checkbox that says "List in the directory" unchecks itself. I do not know why this happens, but one theory I have is that I am running a Windows Server 2003 AD, not 2008.

Any help and/or thought you folks have would be appreciated!
    Monday, November 10, 2008 2:40 PM

Answers

• I checked on one of our domain controllers and it is set up according to step 5 listed above. I did not need to make any changes.

I shared a printer on one of my Windows Server 2003 print servers and it worked just fine.

Do you think that this could be related to the fax server being Windows Server 2008 and the domain and all domain controllers running Windows Server 2003 (Windows Server 2003 functional level)?

Thanks!
    Friday, November 14, 2008 9:16 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Windows XP professional SP3 clients are able to use Fax server to send fax.

<2. I have installed this on a Server 2008 x64 system and cannot seem to get the x86 drivers to load.>

The model of printer driver must match OS platform. If OS is 64bit, we can only directly install 64bit printer driver on it. Please ask the device provider for a Windows server 2008 X64 compatible driver and test the result.

To install 32 bit driver on 64bit OS, we need to click "additional driver" option in printer properties dialogue to add x32 driver. If this fails, please follow the steps below to add this X32 driver on X64 printer server:

1.On any one of the clients machine running 32-bit OS
    2.Access the print server
    \\PrintserverName\Printers
    3.Open the printer required to add the 32-bit driver
    4.Go to properties
    5.Sharing Tab
    6.Additional drivers
    7.check the box for x86 for windows 2000,windows xp and windows 2003
    8.click ok

If it ends up with "this is not supportive method", in most case, this indicates the printer driver is incompatible with 64bit OS. You may need to try the following method to add a local printer:

1.    Install the Vista X32bit printer driver on your Windows Vista computer.

2.    During installation, you'll be prompted to connect the printer to your computer. Choose the option to proceed with installation without connecting the printer.

3.    After installation completes, open the Printers wizard from the Windows Vista Control Panel.

4.    Right click on the entry for the new printer, and choose Properties.

5.    Go to the Ports tab.

6.    Click Add Port, select Local Port, then click New Port.

7.    For the port name, enter the network path and share name of your printer ("\\TheirComputer\TheirPrinter1").

8.    Click OK, and verify that the new port is selected.

9.    Click OK to close the printer properties.

< When I attempt to share the printer and list it in the directory, the checkbox that says "List in the directory" unchecks itself.>

This is expected behavior. When choosing 'list in the directory' option, you can publish it in your domain environment. Other users can easily locate it by "search printers" method when adding a new printer. However, if you don't want to publish this printer, you can leave it 'uncheck' statues. In this way, if other users want to add this share printer, they should know this printer server name or IP address.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:35 AM
  • Thanks for your response!

1. I have faxes successfully sending from XP SP 3 clients through the Server 2008 system.

This one is resolved.

2. I was able to fix the x86 driver issue by following the recommendation on this website:

http://help.wugnet.com/windows/32-bit-fax-print-driver-W2008-x64-Fax-Server-ftopict613269.html

Specifically, I did the following:

the easiest way to install the driver is first copy the 32bit files to the
    64bit server

the 32bit fax files are located on a 32bit machine under
    \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\prnms002.inf_?????? (?? is a
    GUID reference).

there will be an i386 directory that also needs to be copied.

on the x64 machine I copied the x86 fax files to C:\fax\x86

than in an elevated command window

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ia /m "Microsoft Shared Fax Driver" /h
    "x86" /v "Type 3 - User Mode" /f C:\fax\x86\prnms002.inf

printui /? will give you the options for accessing printui interfaces using
    rundll32.

This one is resolved.

3. The issue I am having with the "List in the directory" check box is it that the check mark keeps disappearing after I select it. I would like to make the fax printer easy for people to find by listing it in the directory, but the check box keeps unchecking itself. The event logs record the following errors under the Print Services role after I configure it to list in the directory:

Event ID: 31  Source: PrintSpooler Level: Error  User: System  Logged: 11/13/2008 10:04:57 AM

While attempting to publish the printer to the Active Directory directory service, the print spooler could not create print queue CN=DSIFAX08-Fax under container LDAP://domaincontroller.domainname.com/CN=DSIFAX08,CN=Computers,DC=domainname,DC=com because Mandatory properties could not be set.  Error: 80072014. The printer is not published in Active Directory and cannot be located by searching Active Directory.

Event ID: 37  Source: PrintSpooler  Level: Error  User: System  Logged: 11/13/2008 10:04:57 AM

While attempting to publish the printer to the Active Directory directory service, the print spooler failed to create or update print queue CN=DSIFAX08-Fax in container LDAP://domaincontroller.domainname.com/CN=DSIFAX08,CN=Computers,DC=domainname,DC=com.  Error: 80072014. The printer is not published in Active Directory and cannot be located by searching Active Directory.

Thanks again for your continued assistance.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 3:13 PM
  •  

Hi,

This error message could be related to Ladp access. To further assist on this issue, could you please test the following:

1. logon to one DC, open Active Directory Users and Computers, and browse to Computers container.

2. Right click on the print server's computer object and click Properties.

3. Click the Security tab.

4. Make sure the "SELF" account presents. If not, please add it here.

5. Make sure the SELF account has following permissions:

Create All Child Objects
    Delete All Child Objects
    Validated Write to DNS Host Name
    Validated Write to service principal name
    Read Personal Information
    Write Personal Information

6. Click OK to apply changes.

7. Wait for replication to finish. Then check on another DC to ensure the SELF
    account has been added to print server's security tab, and has above permissions.

8. Restart your print server, and then check to see whether you can share printers in AD now.

If this issue still persists, please logon to the other printer server and publish printers in AD. What is the result?

Friday, November 14, 2008 9:24 AM
  • I checked on one of our domain controllers and it is set up according to step 5 listed above. I did not need to make any changes.

I shared a printer on one of my Windows Server 2003 print servers and it worked just fine.

Do you think that this could be related to the fax server being Windows Server 2008 and the domain and all domain controllers running Windows Server 2003 (Windows Server 2003 functional level)?

Thanks!
    Friday, November 14, 2008 9:16 PM
  • Hi dwboley,
    Can you explain how did you configure the XP sp3 clients to use Windows 2008 Fax server system.
    I have a Windows 2008 fax server but cannot connect to it via Fax Console of a Windows XP sp3 client.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 6:44 PM
  • Hi dwboley,
    Can you explain how did you configure the XP sp3 clients to use Windows 2008 Fax server system.
    I have a Windows 2008 fax server but cannot connect to it via Fax Console of a Windows XP sp3 client.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Do not worry, I figured it out.
    Thanks,
    Baraan12
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 8:05 PM