Revert to windows 7 from windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

A few days ago windows 7 was upgraded to windows 10 once I restarted my pc.

This is not something I wanted. I had a couple of settings on my computer which I guess led to the startup menu not being displayed at all, and an error while trying to bring up certain setting windows. ie. "Properties" on the desktop. Or there was something wrong with the update.

After creating a new user through command line, from PowerShell, I managed to log into that new account and have (aparently) evreything working.

The problem: Now being able to access Update & Security I was hoping I could revertback to Windows 7. This does not seem to be the case as I don't have the option under Recovery. 

What can I do to go back to my previous instalation without starting from scratch? Note, Windows.old is available on C:\

I had backup and recovery disabled, which I guess is why I don't have this available. I guess this is a corner case for you guys, but this is an ugly situation.

Best regards,

Nicolae

• Edited by Natea Nicolae Sunday, June 5, 2016 4:35 PM wrong word
    Sunday, June 5, 2016 4:34 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

At this point, I recommend you start with an Windows 10 installation media, and then choose Repair the computer to boot into WinRE. 

There, once you are asked for the user account, logon with the original one you use to perform the upgrade. Then, let's see if you have the option to Go back to previous Windows. 

If not, I recommend to backup your Windows.old file, and reinstall with Windows 7 Media, then we can restore files and settings from Windows.old to get all previous Windows 7 back. 

How to restore a Windows 7-based computer to a previous Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971760

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 3:10 PM

All replies

• This is not something I wanted. I had a couple of settings on my computer which I guess led to the startup menu not being displayed at all, and an error while trying to bring up certain setting windows. i.e. "Properties" on the desktop. Or there was something wrong with the update.

After creating a new user through command line, from PowerShell, I managed to log into that new account

The problem: Now being able to access Update & Security I was hoping I could revert back to Windows 7. This does not seem to be the case as I don't have the option under Recovery.

Have you tried logging back into the old account to see what your recovery options are?  If you log in to your old account and still have problems with start menu you can use (Win+I) key combination to access settings.

Sunday, June 5, 2016 6:47 PM
  • Hi, 

At this point, I recommend you start with an Windows 10 installation media, and then choose Repair the computer to boot into WinRE. 

There, once you are asked for the user account, logon with the original one you use to perform the upgrade. Then, let's see if you have the option to Go back to previous Windows. 

If not, I recommend to backup your Windows.old file, and reinstall with Windows 7 Media, then we can restore files and settings from Windows.old to get all previous Windows 7 back. 

How to restore a Windows 7-based computer to a previous Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971760

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 3:10 PM