none
Missing Mailbox Database *.edb and file

Question

• I had a small business customer that had a catastrophic power failure yesterday afternoon.  They have a 2012 R2 server running two Hyper-Virtual machines one is the DC and the 2nd runs Exchange 2013.  I received a phone call this morning that they weren't receiving email and that Outlook was disconnected.  I remoted into the Exchange box and all services were running, everything looked good.  No luck, so I rebooted all of the servers to try and get them back.  Same thing, so I opened the Exchange Administrative Center and went to the servers-databases where it showed the status as dismounted.  I checked and the Information Store service was running.  This seemed odd, so I went to mount the database and received the warning: At least one of the stores database files is missing if you continue ect.  So I cancelled and went to the directory and the mailbox database1#########.edb file is gone.  It's a 50GB database file and it's not there yet the Information Store runs.

Has anyone ever seen the mailbox .edb file just disappear?  Still plotting what to do as they haven't been rotating backups and no one informed me of the power failure until today after it had backed up and overwritten the log files.  The .EDB file should be from 3:00am the morning of the power outage but the other file and log files are from after that.  I also seem to be missing a folder that show on the backup as well that holds the indexmeta, Journal and ms folders. 

The only thing I can figure out from the log files is that somehow the power outage lasted and managed to drain the UPS and it shutdown the server as designed.  Apparently the power came back on the server started up and they lost power again before the UPS had charged. 

Thursday, May 3, 2018 7:41 PM

Answers

• I've never heard of the EDB file being deleted like that.

If you can't find the old database or restore it quickly, you can do a dial-tone restore.  Move all the log and other files somewhere else, and then use Mount-Database with the -Force switch to create a new clean database to allow users to get mail in the interim.  Then you can do a recovery restore and merge the old data back into their mailboxes.  The process is well documented.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:15 PM
  • Restart the two Exchange Search services.  It should create a new index folder and start crawling.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, May 3, 2018 10:35 PM

All replies

• I've never heard of the EDB file being deleted like that.

If you can't find the old database or restore it quickly, you can do a dial-tone restore.  Move all the log and other files somewhere else, and then use Mount-Database with the -Force switch to create a new clean database to allow users to get mail in the interim.  Then you can do a recovery restore and merge the old data back into their mailboxes.  The process is well documented.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:15 PM
  • Thank you for your reply Ed.  It seems as the the entire Mailbox Database 1####### directory is corrupted that the .edb file was located.  Anytime I would use the shell to do the Mount-Database command it would bomb on the identity.  It doesn't seem to like the naming context Mailbox Database 1########, which was the default name.  

I have been able to create a new Database using the Dial Tone method but couldn't do the Get-Mailbox and set-mailbox commands to work to have the mail start going to the new database.  Of course I can't move the boxes either.

Actually after moving the directory and recreating it and setting the permissions I was able to use the EAC to successfully mount the database in the empty directory.  However the Content Index state still reads failed and suspended.
    • Edited by bfewell Thursday, May 3, 2018 10:33 PM added info
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 10:12 PM
  • Restart the two Exchange Search services.  It should create a new index folder and start crawling.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 10:35 PM
  • Hi bfewell,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 1:47 AM